Camera anti-shake

There a reason to keep the specific camera model a secret from those trying to help? There's something like 50 different cameras in Sonys alpha corral. Knowing which of the ponies you ride would be a crucial detail worth revealing.

i do have the user manual which was the first place I looked for help, I also have a book by Shawn Barrett on the A300.

Neither of these were any help! 

As someone said, " if you can't any anything nice (Helpful), don't say nothing at all"

Anyway, I still need the help I asked for. The exclamation mark is obviously the important thing here. What is causing it and why is the symbol flashing constantly?

Kind regards

I don't have your particular camera, but in all of my Sony & Minolta manuals there are pages specifically covering all of the items displayed in the viewfinder -- look up "VIEWFINDER" in the index.  In my manuals, it explains the STEADY SHOT information that is displayed in the viewfinder -- THAT'S THE "HAND" in the brackets.  It explains when it is ON and when it is OFF -- and what exactly the display means.  It also explains how to turn it ON or OFF.

Since I am not familiar with your camera, I'd suggest to dig a little deeper.  My owner's manual are all about 200 pages long and clearly describe the features of the camera -- including the anti-shake display in the viewfinder.

So back to my original response (which I thought was helpful).  As they say in the Army, "It's in the manual".

Edited by XKAES

A 1-minute Google-search got me this:

- Search for 'Sony A300 manual'

- Search for 'shake' in the manual

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This warning doesn't have anything to do with actual shake of the camera: usually such a warning pops up if the shutter speed is slow relative to the focal length of the lens, to warn the user to take some kind of stabilising measures such as a tripod to avoid motion blur (camera shake blur, that is). I assume you're testing indoors with dim lighting conditions. Does the warning disappear if you go outside?

Edited by Pieter