A77 not working - unsure if it's the camera or the batteries

jameswyper

Hi.  I have an A77 bought new in 2013, the original Sony battery and an aftermarket battery bought 6-7 years ago. I last used the camera in September with the Sony battery when it worked fine.

This weekend the camera is not working with either (fully charged) battery.  I took a couple of shots with it on Friday and it then shut down. Now when I switch it on the "writing to card" light shows briefly and there's an empty battery icon on the LCD screen.  Nothing else.  I've read elsewhere that leaving the camera switched on with the battery removed can sometimes help; it didn't here.

I've tested both batteries with a multimeter and they read 8.3 / 8.2v which I think means they are healthy (the nominal voltage for these is 7.2v).  There is no sign of corrosion or damage to the pins in the camera's battery compartment.

I don't have another Sony camera or known good battery I could test with (although I guess I could ask around locally, or risk throwing good money after bad on a new battery).  Are there any other tests I could sensibly try or, based on the above evidence, is it most likely that my camera is dead?

Thanks.