Can't load memory card into Slot 1, Slot 2 is OK

Can't load memory card into Slot 1 on my Sony a7RM4. It simply doesn't lock in. We purchased the camera in early December. This happened late last week & we have sent it in for warranty service. Really odd because we're not professionals so we use the camera very little compared to pros. 

We've owned 2 Canon's + a Sony a99 ii over 15 years & never had an issue like this.

Anyone ever have this issue?

Happened to me once. A bit of plastic from the card (those separating the brass contacts) was in the slot keeping it from seating. Hard to spot on cursory investigation but I'm certain that's what the problem is. too bad you sent it off already since my last 'warranty' repair took close to a month.

(Posted in hope future readers having a similar problem look for debris in the slot first.)

I spotted the problem and cleared the obstruction myself.

If the card doesn't seat all the way the click lock keeping it in won't activate. I bet yours will be back shortly since they should spot the problem quickly. No point in dragging the repair out since it's a warranty claim and there's no percentage in bumping up bogus repair charges. Good luck.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:10 AM, VTC said:

I spotted the problem and cleared the obstruction myself.

If the card doesn't seat all the way the click lock keeping it in won't activate. I bet yours will be back shortly since they should spot the problem quickly. No point in dragging the repair out since it's a warranty claim and there's no percentage in bumping up bogus repair charges. Good luck.

A portion of a memory card IS broken. It's a very small piece near a pin. I didn't noticed it but my wife did today. I hope they don't hit us with abuse / not under warranty or other BS.

Bummer !

Wish you had noticed it, to begin with.

However, that is easy to say, if you do not have some sort of  ; non conducting  probe, that would be thin enough and long enough, to allow you to disloge the broken bit. 

Nothing more frustrating , than being able to see the problem, but cannot get at it !

Hopefully, you will get your camera back, quickly !

Can I ask, what type of  SD card you used ?   I use Sandisk Extreme Pro, and Lexar 2000 x, and never had a problem.

Good Luck

4 hours ago, GARoss said:

A portion of a memory card IS broken. It's a very small piece near a pin.

Yep. Those separator strips are fragile and easily snapped off. Can't remember how I cleared mine out. Likely held it upside down and blew it out. I have a mess of cards with those pieces missing and they still work. Even have had cards come apart and had to glue them back together.

Since this is likely the culprit and you're missing a piece of the card it will be interesting if they report the problem as something more serious (and costly).They should have this cleared and boxed up before the mailman leaves the building if they're good at what they do. Best of luck with the repair.

18 hours ago, Wally The Confused said:

Bummer !

Wish you had noticed it, to begin with.

However, that is easy to say, if you do not have some sort of  ; non conducting  probe, that would be thin enough and long enough, to allow you to disloge the broken bit. 

Nothing more frustrating , than being able to see the problem, but cannot get at it !

Hopefully, you will get your camera back, quickly !

Can I ask, what type of  SD card you used ?   I use Sandisk Extreme Pro, and Lexar 2000 x, and never had a problem.

Good Luck

PNY 64Gb. We used a Sony a99M2 before the a7R4 & it seems more difficult to remove the card on the a7R4. Less room to get the finger tips in I guess..

13 hours ago, VTC said:

Yep. Those separator strips are fragile and easily snapped off. Can't remember how I cleared mine out. Likely held it upside down and blew it out. I have a mess of cards with those pieces missing and they still work. Even have had cards come apart and had to glue them back together.

Since this is likely the culprit and you're missing a piece of the card it will be interesting if they report the problem as something more serious (and costly).They should have this cleared and boxed up before the mailman leaves the building if they're good at what they do. Best of luck with the repair.

Thanks