Shooting self-portraits with A7II, imaging edge app?

Hi, I just transitioned from olympus E-M10 to the Sony alpha 7II. I shoot lots of lanscapes or street photos where I put myself in the frame to add a bit of life. However I have been having issues with the A7II I just got.

What I would usually do with my Oly was I would either use the time lapse function with my camera on a tripod, which would then just shoot every second and I'd just walk around in the frame, posse, etc or use the smarthone app as a remote control, allowing me to tap an area to autofocus (good with shallower DoF). With the sony, I cannot find a way to take this kind of photo to save my life and it's so frustrating!

- to use burst mode you need to keep your finger on the shutter release

- the timelapse app automatically combine the images into a movie and changes the image ratio, as well as (I think) decrease image quality

- the smartphone app does not allow me to tap to autofocus, which is an issue with shallow DoF

Can anyone help? Is there something in the controls or in the app that I don't understand? Otherwise I think I will return the camera and look at another system, as great a camera as the A7II might be...

• 2 weeks later...

you need to look for the play memories tweak ( unofficial app ). Just find it and install whatever you need from the website. There are two time-lapse programs I see.

Again play memories ( official ) store has this to install. However there are many official apps.

SONY has the phone remote so you can use your phone to snap pictures it has a small timelapse setting. The app will activate with the remote app feature in all A7RII. However some of these phone apps will not install on certain machines.
My tablets will not install these programs.

There is also shooting thethered ( just to be extreme ) Capture One, SONY official package. Lightroom also does this. NOTE: Capture One dominates your computer after installation preventing other apps from using this mode. Again this is for labtops for big displays.

.............................................................................................................................

Again the first thing I mentioned. Just look for 30 minutes fix for SONY A7RII camera and you should find a bunch of apps. Again these are unofficial. Only other place is the store or phone apps

.............................................................................................................................

If not you have to get a battery bay with an external controller. Also the A7R series comes with a remote controller that could sync with it ( I forget how that works ) both unofficial and official.

Edited by DanArt