Seeking Assistance Play Memories/Imaging Edge App

Hello,

I have the original Sony A7R and am unable to connect my camera to my IPad, Imaging Edge App. I have tried what has always worked before. (Application List/Smart Remote Control). All I get is WiFi Standby. (The little "wheel" goes round and round without progress). I do not see the camera's wi-fi in my IPad wi-fi settings. In the past, whenever I was lucky enough to get a QR code on my camera screen, it was an easy connection to Imaging Edge by just taking the photo of the QR code with the IPad. Nothing has changed with either the camera or IPad. Is there any way to "force" the camera to bring up the QR code? I have talked with Sony about this. We have tried everything they have suggested, to no avail. All I want to be able to do is to trigger my shutter remotely...sometimes out of camera "sight," thereby negating a hand-held remote control. I also hesitate to get a new camera just to solve this problem. (For example, sometimes I will trigger my shutter while standing in another room). 

Thanks in advance for any helpoful advice. 

-Dave