SIII - choppy/laggy viewfinder image when shooting video

Hiya,

looking at the big lcd screen things look smooth and fine, but when I look through the viewfinder, all the movement looks choppy and weird. It doesn’t look this bad on my a7riii so I’m wondering if some of the default settings create an issue that’s causing this or whether my new camera might be faulty? I was shooting at 24f, 1/50, XAVC 4K. the footage seems choppier than what I get out of the riii too, so either I’m doing something wrong, it’s faulty or I need to make sure some settings are on. It’s like on the LCD screen everything looks smooth, but through the viewfinder, if I pan or if something moves, object movement seems very glitchy and stunted. I’m a bit of a noob with video so maybe I’m doing something wrong? Thanks so much!  

Hmm, it’s weird, it’s not a problem if I go to the 2 on the wheel, (default setting), I wonder what could be so different that it makes the viewfinder so much more responsive?

* did some more tests, moving to XAVC hd 60p 50 4:2:2 seemed to make a huge improvement in the viewfinder’s behavior. Is it normal for it to be super choppy when looking around slowly at 24 frames? Thanks!

Edited by prettymonstaaa