Remote control and capture with iPad/Android

Hi there

I've seen amazing options to remote control your Nikon/Canon camera with an iPad from f.x. CamRanger. It's a dongle you attach to your camera with USB and to your iPad through WiFi. It allows you to remotely snap pictures and see the results instantly on your iPad. Perfect when I'm adjusting flashes f.x.

I'm wondering if there's something like this available for Sony cameras, like the Sony a7/a7ii/a7rii models? I think these cameras have a built in WiFi, but I'm not really sure what that WiFi is used for?

Regards

Frímann

Oops! 

Sony got back to me after I eventually worked out how to contact them and discovered, what I think is, a fairly obscure menu that allowes RAW files to be recorded. 

There's a separate settings menu within the app available while it is connected to the phone which includes a quality setting that overrides the camera's normal setting.

Sorry for any confusion or maligning of Sony.

Oops! 

Sony got back to me after I eventually worked out how to contact them and discovered, what I think is, a fairly obscure menu that allowes RAW files to be recorded. 

There's a separate settings menu within the app available while it is connected to the phone which includes a quality setting that overrides the camera's normal setting.

This is good news! I was seriously considering (but still dreading the idea) to go for Canon just because of that functionality, but since we have this built into the camera I have even more reasons to opt for Sony!

How do u find this menu.i use that app all the time and I would love raw files to transfer to my tablet.

Oops! 

It won't transfer RAW to the phone or tablet; it can store it on the SD card along with the full sized jpg.  It will only ever send a jpg to the phone but there is an opton to operate in RAW+jpg mode ensuring that you do have a RAW file for each photo, which is what I was after.  There's not an option for RAW only but I think there is an opton to send the full sized jpg to the phone/tablet; however I'm happy with the smaller "2K" version that matches my phone's screen resolution and is faster.

While the app is running, the camera and phone/tablet are wirelessley connected and the camera is ready to respond to the phone/tablet's commands, press the camera's menu button.  This will bring up the app's settings menu rather than the normal camera menu.

• 2 weeks later...