desert_view

Adaptors and off-brand lenses on a6500

I have been looking for a long lens, say 400+ mm (35mm equivalent 600mm) that doesn't weigh more than 1kg(2.2 lbs). Sony doesn't make one like that. So, I  look at adaptors and off-brand lenses with no knowledge of which combinations will actually work well. By work well, I mean auto-focus quickly with correct exposure and provide the functionality of the 6500. Where can I find information about such combos if they even exist?

On 2/2/2019 at 9:12 PM, desert_view said:

400+ mm (35mm equivalent 600mm) that doesn't weigh more than 1kg(2.2 lbs) ... auto-focus quickly with correct exposure and provide the functionality of the 6500.

This doesn't exist. Closest you can get is the native 100-400 GM at 1.4 kg or the Sigma 100-400 with MC11 adapter at 1.3 kg. Be sure to try the autofocus performance of any adapted options to see if it's up to your standards.

I have given up on adapting alien lenses to my 6500 camera. So I really need a light weight, full functioning autofocus 400+mm Sony e mount lens for the 6500. I know that Sony does not yet sell any such lens. Sony has an e-mount FE series lens for full frame sensors which will work with the 6500 but weighs too much and does not have enough reach (300mm). There were some rumors that new lenses were coming out this spring. Does anyone have any inside information on what might become available in the next few months?

If you find the FE 70-300 too heavy at 854 grams, nothing will satisfy your requirements. Anything with 400mm reach will be heavier or have really crappy image quality such as the Tamron 18-400.

Sounds like what you actually want is an RX10-iv: fairly compact, awesome autofocus, 600mm equivalent focal length and 1kg total body+lens.

Edited by Pieter

Then please show me the off-brand lens that fits your needs if camera system wasn't a constraint. Oh right, there isn't any as sensor size doesn't affect the bulk of a decent 400mm+ lens much. The Panasonic 100-400 for micro 4/3rds also weighs 1kg. Thats about the same as the Sigma 100-400 for Fullframe.

Edited by Pieter

Hi Pieter,

Thanks for your input! I guess I'll just wait for a few months and see what develops. Meanwhile I am using the Olympus 1.7 extender on the front of a Sony 55-210 zoom lens. This rig yields about 535mm for equivalent 35mm, and the 6500 focuses well and quickly in bright daylight. 

Don't get me wrong: I too would like something better than the 55-210 I use on my a6500 without sacrificing too much on portability of the system (that's what made me fall in love with Sony APS-C in the first place, over Fuji or Sony FF). I just think it's not going to happen. Maybe Tamron or Sigma will make a 300 or 400 mm lens for APS-C someday but it will be a crappy ultrazoom. If the 1.7x teleconverter works for you, that's your best option to go long and lightweight in the foreseeable future.