Considering moving to Sony if A9r arrives - need lens help

Hey everyone,

I'm considering moving to the Sony E Mount system if/when the A9r arrives (and of course, is reviewed) and I'm trying to educate myself on the lens options. Here's my current setup...

5D Mark IV

5Ds

Lenses:

16-35 f/4L IS

24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

35mm f/1.4L II

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

85mm f/1.2L II

100mm f/2.8L IS MACRO

135mm f/2L

70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

2x III extender

Lighting:

2x Canon 600EXII-RT

3x Yongnuo 600EX-RT II

Orlit RoveLight 610 RT HSS

Canon ST-E3-RT trigger

Yongnuo YN-E3-RT trigger

Of the lenses above, I don't really use the 24-105 that often. Generally, if I'm in that range, I'm using a fast prime. I also don't use the 100mm f/2.8L IS MACRO very often and don't REALLY need a replacement for it.  The 70-200 is nice, but I'm pretty sure I can get by without it, especially if the A9r has 60-75+ megapixels and the 135 option I go with is stellar. But, it's still an option.  So, the main focal lengths I'd like to replicate in the Sony system are the 16-35 (f/4 is fine, don't need f/2.8), 35, 50, 85, and 135.  Also, I'm only interested in AF lenses.

I made this chart to start mentally digesting the options.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm not overly interested in adapting lenses so it's likely that my path would be: buy the camera plus 1 or 2 lenses (probably a 35 and 85) ---> see if I like them ---> buy additional lenses and ensure that the system as a whole is working for me ---> buy a second A9r ----> sell all Canon gear.  I'd expect the buying process to take a couple of months from start to finish.

On to my request, if you folks are willing to help... 

What are the best, reputable resources which offer reviews of various lenses as well as these lenses vs one another?  For instance, in the 70-200/300 range, is there a (reputable) site out there reviewing 2 of them head to head? Same goes for the 50mm and 85mm options. Also, are any of these lenses to be avoided?

Uses... I mostly shoot portraits, family, events/weddings, and my own personal family. I've only recently begun adding in OCF and am loving that. I believe there is a great system for Sony, including strobes, but I can't remember the name... is it Godox?

Any other advice you're willing to hurl my way would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Just a few general comments...auto focus can be difficult with adapted lenses and I eventually got rid of all my Canon glass (except 100-400 II) for native e mount for that reason.

Exceptional lenses I own, ranked in order of my personal preference are 50mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 90 mm macro, 70-200 F4, 35mm 2.8, and 16-35 F4.  The 50mm 1.4 is amazing.  I also have the 35mm 1.4 but tend to use the little 2.8 because of the size difference.  I had the 85mm Batis but found the 90mm macro more useful.  If I could just choose one lens out of this group it would be the wonderful 24-70, then the 50mm 1.4

A subscription to https://diglloyd.com/idx-allview.html (mirrorless) will give you IMO the best comparative resource. Even if Lloyd's photos are mostly technical/landscape, his reviews do point out the performance _differences_ between lenses ... which is _much_ more useful in understanding why some lenses are better and more expensive than others.

Just curious...why waiting for the appearance of a rumored camera to appear when you can enter the system now at a fraction of the potential cost of the phantom camera?  What do you see as the shortcomings, from your perspective, of the A7RII?

From the info provided so far, there doesn't

seem to be a reason to quit Canon for Sony. 

The a9 is a fast camera and so you can't get 

the extreme MP count you want. The lenses 

available will not fulfill what you are currently

using from Canon ... just to name 2 reasons

out of many. 

The draws of the A9 series (preferably a 60-75mp, 4-5 FPS A9r) are ergonomics (AF joystick being a big one), My Menu is huge as it's practically the only menu I use on my Canon bodies, battery capacity, dual card slots, AF capability, and general usability improvements.

The biggest draw of the Sony system, for me, is the eye AF and tracking capabilities. I also like the compositional freedom afforded by the number and spread of AF points. IBIS is an enormous advantage, IMO, as well. To me, these are the main reasons to switch.

You seem to feel strongly about a number of useful features, 

so on second look the switch DOES seem appropriate. There 

are certain ... uh ... "challenges" involved in marrying into the 

Sony family, but it looks like you will feel that, on balance, you 

made the best choice. Just be patient with your new "in-laws".

What challenges have you found? Was there

anything positive which surprised you?

I only read about everyone else's challenges. 

You can browse the forum just as I have. But 

I never have their problems :-) 

Reason I never have problems is cuz I only 

use the body, not the the system, and I use 

only basic operations of the body. I have no 

problems with AF, AF-tracking, TTL flash or 

wireless flash, weird iris action, banding, or 

all the other grief you can read about. I use 

old lenses, non-dedicated flash, etc etc.  

Just curious...why waiting for the appearance of a rumored camera to appear when you can enter the system now at a fraction of the potential cost of the phantom camera?  What do you see as the shortcomings, from your perspective, of the A7RII?

I bought an a7R ll recently and absolutely love the system. It has to be said that I am a bit of a digital neanderthal and I would be the last person to convert but convert I did. Film will, always remain my main source but following this purchase, never say never?

The WYSIWYG is called, IIRC, "Image Preview" which is 

a more thorough version of "Setting Effect". Setting Effect 

can be in continuous use, but "Image Preview" is a button 

activated momentary preview. It shows you the effect of 

more parameters than "Setting Effect". The latter basically 

shows only exposure effect. The former shows WB, actual 

stopped down iris [DOF], Creative Style, etc.  

But be aware that while it's verrrry helpful to see the effect 

of more parameters, there is NO WAY for any in-camera 

preview to accommodate the influences of your particular

printer or PC monitor. It's a wonderful preview but do NOT  

fantasize about it serving as a 100% match for your other

viewing/printing situations/devices. That just can't happen. 

I have the A7RII and A9 (fantastic cameras, each have there own particular strengths).  There are lot of reputable reviewers out there.  I have and use the Sony 24-70 and 70-200 G Masters, both of which are really, really good.  But I prefer primes when I have the luxury of changing lenses more often without fear of missing the shot, so I also have and use regularly the Zeiss/Sony 35 1.4 and 50 1.4, and the Sony G Master 85 1.4.  These primes are all really, really good.  Sharpness and bokeh are superb.  No bad choices there, its really the focal length that should drive your decision. Also surprisingly great is the Sigma 135 1.8 EF mount with the Sigma MC-11 adapter.  I used to own the highly regarded Zeiss/Sony A mount 135 1.8 and really like this focal length and fast speed for indoor sports and kids school events, so I bought the Sigma 135 when it came out.  It is even better than the Zeiss/Sony was!  

Guest Jaf-Photo

I have the A7RII and A9 (fantastic cameras, each have there own particular strengths).  There are lot of reputable reviewers out there.  I have and use the Sony 24-70 and 70-200 G Masters, both of which are really, really good.  But I prefer primes when I have the luxury of changing lenses more often without fear of missing the shot, so I also have and use regularly the Zeiss/Sony 35 1.4 and 50 1.4, and the Sony G Master 85 1.4.  These primes are all really, really good.  Sharpness and bokeh are superb.  No bad choices there, its really the focal length that should drive your decision. Also surprisingly great is the Sigma 135 1.8 EF mount with the Sigma MC-11 adapter.  I used to own the highly regarded Zeiss/Sony A mount 135 1.8 and really like this focal length and fast speed for indoor sports and kids school events, so I bought the Sigma 135 when it came out.  It is even better than the Zeiss/Sony was!

What type of photography do you do?

He said: "Uses... I mostly shoot portraits, family, events/weddings"

Perchance are you reading on a very small device ?  

Cuz "He" [as in "He said ... "] is NOT the same "He"

to whom you've attributed "Uses ... .... ". "He" is, in

context, you ! What type photography do YOU do ? 

I don't understand why you would just sell all your Canon glass without first trying them with the A7r/A9 using a Metabones adapter. I switched from Canon 70D to Sony A7 Mk II about two years ago.  I was too quick to sell my Canon 24-70 f2.8 L MkII which was a mistake.  Fortunately I kept my Canon 70-200 F4 L IS.  The focus on the A7 with Metabones adapter is perhaps even faster than the Canon 70D!!!  I also kept the Sigma 25 f1.4 Art which works well with the A7 system.  I even get reasonably fast focus with the Canon 100-400 with the 1.4X Extender.

My suggestion: buy a used A7R Mk II along with a Metabones adapter now and try the system out with your very good collection of mostly L Canon glass.  Then later on buy an A9r (if available).

I will add I absolutely love my two Batis lenses (85 and 24) closely followed by the Sony 55 f1.8.

I don't understand why you would just sell all your Canon glass without

first trying them with the A7r/A9 using a Metabones adapter. I switched

from Canon 70D to Sony A7 Mk II about two years ago.  ......................

The focus on the A7 with Metabones adapter is perhaps even faster

than the Canon 70D!!!  ........................................

Great advice, or more accurately an important warning. "Warning" 

cuz there are too many horror stories in these forums from those 

who switched totally and precipitously, rather than one step at a

time. Some users have excellent luck, but others have nightmare   

results ... even tho often those opposite experiences involve very 

similar collections of gear.   

Gotta agree about going initially with an a7R-II rather than waiting 

for an a9R [which might, or might not, ever show up]. If you wait 

for the a9R and it finally appears, you will still need your  a7R-II to 

serve you thru the initial 18 to 24 month teething and debugging

period of the a9R. 18 to 24 months ... longer than one need watch 

and wait with other new models for sure, and quite reasonable for 

a $6000 flagship camera that will sell in verrrrrry low volume, and 

so require a longer debugging period due to its tiny installed base. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------         

Acoarst there IS a rational approach to being an early adopter of  

such a device, but not everyone qualifies. To qualify you ought to

meet every single one of these three criteria:  

1. No commercial use, no once-in-a-lifetime event coverage, etc.

2. White hot intense need to be an early adopter of high end stuff.   

3. Fiscal comfort such that a $6000 toy has no impact on your life

and finances, even were it best to toss the thing into the dumpster.    

Clearly, no one who meets criterium number '3' needs be asking 

all the detailed queries of the OP. They'll just buy the best current, 

and reasonably well-proven, outfit. And if they ever feel moved to 

consider an upgrade, their only concern about their next purchase 

is to avoid unproven, potentially troublesome, new releases. Even 

where cost is no object, no one seeks to buy into a headache. 

IOW ... virtually no one who fully meets ALL 3 of the criteria would

be foolish enuf to actually engage in an early adopter acquisition. 

Simply, those who DO qualify usually know better than to proceed. 

Sadly, there will, as usual, be a gaggle of early adopters who meet 

only that 2nd criterium. And their complaints will be all too familiar,

their expressions of outrage will become oh so boring :-(   

Guest Jaf-Photo

He said: "Uses... I mostly shoot portraits, family, events/weddings"

Perchance are you reading on a very small device ?  

Cuz "He" [as in "He said ... "] is NOT the same "He"

to whom you've attributed "Uses ... .... ". "He" is, in

context, you ! What type photography do YOU do ?

Correct. I've seen posts about JimmyD's gear but not what he uses it for.

......... I've seen posts about [xxxx]'s gear but not what he uses it for.  

I've substituted "xxxx" for any particular names, cuz there  

are, in these forums, too many examples of that of the "all

gear all the time" mindset. Not universal but way too much. 

Guest Jaf-Photo

I've substituted "xxxx" for any particular names, cuz there

are, in these forums, too many examples of that of the "all

gear all the time" mindset. Not universal but way too much.

True. The OP at least mentioned what he uses his gear for. It's very important. Users here generally recommend the most expensive gear or their favourite gear, which may not be right for someone else.

I'm used to dealing with real people who just want cost-effective gear that suits their purposes and budget. The real solution is rarely to buy a set of high-end gear to the equivalent price of a small car. People who actually need that kind of gear are usually so proficient, they don't need to ask for advice.

There is also ample evidence here and in other places that you can buy the gear but not the skill to use it. Photographic skills are all about looking, listening, reading, thinking and practicing. Some people however seem to think that they'll automatically make good pictures if they buy a high-end camera.

For some reason, I thought of the story about how Stanley Kubrick told Matthew Modine to buy a Minolta camera instead of the Rolleiflex he was using (filming Full Metal Jacket). Kubrick was a professional photographer and had used a Rolleiflex as his main camera. But he still recommended a different camera for a different user.

True. The OP at least mentioned what he uses his gear for. It's very important. Users here generally recommend the most expensive gear or their favourite gear, which may not be right for someone else.

I'm used to dealing with real people who just want cost-effective gear that suits their purposes and budget. The real solution is rarely to buy a set of high-end gear to the equivalent price of a small car. People who actually need that kind of gear are usually so proficient, they don't need to ask for advice.

There is also ample evidence here and in other places that you can buy the gear but not the skill to use it. Photographic skills are all about looking, listening, reading, thinking and practicing. Some people however seem to think that they'll automatically make good pictures if they buy a high-end camera.

For some reason, I thought of the story about how Stanley Kubrick told Matthew Modine to buy a Minolta camera instead of the Rolleiflex he was using (filming Full Metal Jacket). Kubrick was a professional photographer and had used a Rolleiflex as his main camera. But he still recommended a different camera for a different user.

Didn't edit the quote area at all cuz I agree 100% with every inch of it.  

I would however add this to it:  

If you mentally step waaaay back, kinda view all the goings-on here in 

this forum, and on similar sites, there are patterns ... marketing-driven 

patterns. And some of these marketing efforts are successful to such

a degree that they generate Cults of Believers. Not simply throngs of

the deceived and mislead, but actual cults of staunch BELIEVERS.  

When you "mentally step waaaay back" to see the patterns, stepping

way back only expands your view in three dimensions. Add the fourth 

dimension and it gets pathetic. Add that dimension of Time, and you'll 

see that, over the years, the marketeers will contradict themselves. It 

leads to the pendulum effect. That which was formerly to be shunned,

later becomes the holy grail. Watch long enuf and the pendulum will

swing back to where it started. 

Someone is sure to ask for examples of the marketeering pendulum. 

My absolute fave, classic, purest example is the 50mm normal lens, 

as observed over a few decades. It's just ROTFLMFAO pathetic.  

Guest all8

there are patterns ... marketing-driven patterns

The most effective photographic marketing I've noticed recently has been for the Zeiss Batis Lenses, which goes something like this: "you hang the camera over your shoulder, hike for 10 miles through the rain/sleet/snow, and take a photo of some thing, which after all that effort, is likely to be unique" - which in a World where everything within 100 meters of a highway has "been done", is a powerful marketing message. That kind of marketing message is showing up in more and more places recently, with relation to camera equipment.

I would suggest its effective, at least to a certain demographic, probably not you! Definitely me ... as recent evidence would suggest!!!

However, consider this, do you think that the Zeiss Marketing Department created this market, where none existed before, or responded to that market, which had already come into existence? Is marketing creating demand, or responding to demand?

Times change, and then they change again. Marking departments think about what people might want and how they can help satisfy that need. Consider, please, how many people got to give their old legacy lenses a new lease on life, thanks to the A7 cameras from Sony. You can be certain that was no accident of the marketing pendulum.

Its nice to see so many people enjoying their photography ... 

.......... Is marketing creating demand, or responding to demand?

.......... Marking departments think about what people might want

and how they can help satisfy that need. .............

............You can be certain that was no accident of the marketing

pendulum.

Re: 1st statement/question  .... are you kidding ? By definition

that "chicken and egg" ploy falls apart.  

Re: 2nd statement .... same as 1st statement/question.  

Re: 3rd statement .... Right you are. There's nothing accidental 

about marketing. It's toadally intentional in its actions.