Sony a-6000 file name problem?

CDK

Greetings.

Lent my a-6000 to a friend (for last time).

On return, tried to transfer files to PC. Found that new files on the SD card had been renamed starting from DSC00001.

When files transferred to the PC using Play Memories ALL the files were renamed started from 1, even the previously recorded files.

On putting the SD card into a reader, found there were two directories on the card 100MSDCF and 101MSDCF.

I feel that he fiddled with the New Directory and the Reset sequence settings but he is not sure.

Both directories had images in them, but the 100MSDCF one had the original numbers DSC09454 to DSC09999  and 101MSDCF had only DSC00001 to DSC00041

The time stamp between DSC09999 and DSC00041 are in sequence so the two directories are in sequence.

I changed the "Select REC folder" to 100MSDCF but that makes no difference as the file names DSC09454, etc, they still showed on the camera screen as DSC00001, etc.

I have tried renaming the 1,2,3,4, files back to 09455, 09456,  but though I can see the 'new' names via the PC, the camera screen still shows ALL (even the previous ones) images as 1,2,3,4, etc.

As in the past, the camera seems to remember the file numbers if you format the SD card, my question is where does it record the last file number so it can continue with the next number. 

I thought it would "see" the last recorded number and continue from there. But the number must be recorded somewhere in its own system memory. 

Is it possible to reset the file numbers to continue from my previous series?

Any help would be much appreciated.

CDK

PS

Had the counter reached 99999, (99 thousand and, 999) I would have understood the file numbers flipping back to 1  (OR does this happen at 9,999 which then would explain flipping back to 1)

I think it’s  under the Setup menu under Folder Name, you can set Standard or Date form, it may have changed. Under date form I think the camera sets a new folder each day and may or may not reset the counter. I think that depends on whether serial or reset it defined on another setting.