alpha 7 ii extending battery life

oneeye

Which model? I belive the first ones only turned it if but did not save power? Never quite got that, but any way the current series two versions I understand do actually save power by turning if the lcd screen.

Any one concur?

On my a7II, I find the "deactivate monitor" function does not turn off LCD. Instead it only makes the LCD display a black blank screen while the LCD is on. I don't think this will save any battery life. Also, according to Gary Friedman's measurements, EVF actually consumes slightly more power than LCD, and wireless communication does not consume power when not in use (so airplane mode does not save battery). In my opinion, the most effective ways to saving battery is turning off pre-AF and turning the camera off when not in use for a while. Of course, this won't give you a battery life anywhere close to a DSLR.

My model is a A 7 II.  I did switch off the pre-focus and constantly turn off the camera after each shot - maybe Sony should put a toggle on-off switch on their camera for this purpose.

I set the custom button# 2 to "deactivate" the monitor - or to turn it on/off.  Even if the EV uses more power, with the monitor mainly off, is this much of an energy savings and does anyone have any other ideas for saving the batteries life?

Turning off eye detect on the display and selecting ether lcd or evf seems to help. in fact selcting LCD seems to help more. turning off face detect and smile detect and eye detect, seems to help as well. Turning off WiFi helps.  Yeah i know, it's all totally dumbing down the camera but it seems to help a tad. One thing that really helps if you don't mind factory settings is removing the battery when your done shooting.

One thing that really helps if you don't mind factory settings is removing the battery when your done shooting.

Sorry please explain? On my A7 and 7r2 removing the battery for days does nothing to change my settings or date or copyright info ?