Canon 500D close up filter for Sony 24-240mm lens

Has anyone tried this close up filter on their Sony full frame lenses?  I'm looking for an affordable alternative to a macro lens.  This comes in a 72mm thread, so I can use it with my 24-240 lens.  They are pricey at $200 so I'm looking for feedback.  Alternatively, has anyone used extension tubes with any success for macro work?  That's another option.

Thanks

If the 500D follows typical naming protocol it's a

500mm lens, which means its focusing range is

500mm to "closer". How much closer is variable,

but 500mm equals "+2" so it would be more than

close enuf for general close-up work. The bigger

issue is whether a dioptre that won't permit focus

beyond 500mm is a convenient overlap with the

built-in near focus limit of your lens [which I don't

happen to know]. If your lens near focuses down

to about 500mm, you should be happy with a +2. 

But buy it with a sufficient return period. +2 is a

fairly strong dioptre, so you need time do more

than check out the focusing range. You would be

well off to check optical degradation, essentially

a question of how far you hafta stop down to get

IQ that serves your needs.

You will get very thin DoF with close up devices,

and acoarst that +10 would give less DoF than

a +1. You get thin DoF with ANY closeup device

regardless of which device, and DoF is entirely

dependent the degree of magnification, and not

on HOW you achieve it. 

As to the lighting challenge, dioptre lenses can

be the most challenging in that regard due to a

reduction in effective FL. The lens crowds the

subject. Acoarst starting with a 35mm lens only

makes theproblem worse. 

Has anyone tried this close up filter on their Sony full frame lenses?  I'm looking for an affordable alternative to a macro lens.  This comes in a 72mm thread, so I can use it with my 24-240 lens.  They are pricey at $200 so I'm looking for feedback.  Alternatively, has anyone used extension tubes with any success for macro work?  That's another option.

Thanks

This works well for me. You can find it for less than $60... 

Sigma AML72-01 Close-Up Lens

I use the 500D (it is not a filter) since many years on Nikon and Sony Hasselblad lenses for 1:1 close ups. The lens is very good and worth the price.

The IQ of a 10x zoom like this will be not sufficient, compared to real macro lenses.

You may consider the Sony 30mm APS-C macro in crop mode. The used price is less than 200€ and it is small and you have full support of the camera functions.