Need advice : Tamron 150-600 + la-ea3 + A7ii

Hi guys,

I wanna hear some feedback from the person who has the a7ii and use the tamron 150-600 (through the la-ea3 adapter) that the tracking ability is good enough to take the photo of the bird in flight and also the taking-off aircraft?

I have 2 choices right now between this tammy and the sony 70-400 g2

I had a chance to try the 70-400 and it was brilliant when pair with my camera (a7ii) through la-ea3 but I can't find tammy a mount lens to try out in my country so I wanna hear some opnion from the real world users before considering to order the 150-600 (since tammy is 50% cheaper than the 70-400)

Thanks everyone in advance :)

I have this lens with the A7Rii and LA-EA3 (should be similar in tracking performance to the a7ii I suppose)... I have found it to be ok in very good light but in less than perfect conditions it often hunts for focus or takes a long time to focus. I have found that when you know pretty well where the action will happen (as with an aircraft taking off) you can manage well enough but if events are happening suddenly and in unpredictable directions then you miss a lot of shots with this combo.

Others may have better skills and get better results, but for me it is not quick or accurate enough to be giving consistent results in the bird in flight situation. Its still a good lens for the price and it is great to get 600mm reach with the A7 series bodies.

I have the same set up as andy and agree. I've never had a long lens like this and have missed a lot of shots due to focus slightly off what I want, DOF is very shallow at 600mm! I also agree though that for the $$ I'm ok with this lens. I have tried it for some birding and got some good shots, but missed a lot too. I'm also new to birding so don't know what experts % is.

Fir Island Birding (211)

Fir Island Birding (179)

Fir Island Birding (157)

Fir Island Birding (11)

Thanks for the sample photos :)

As a beginner in bird photography, I think it's normal that you would miss a lot of shots since the bird would be really fast in the air though ;)

Just one thing I wanna be sure is that would the camera+lens combo would nail the focus throughout the zoom range or not if not, then I would consider the 70-400 instead (which is twice the price :( )

Thanks you in advance for your kind answer mtman :)