Need a 70-300mm for my A7II

Tachikaze

I have occasional need for a long lens for my A7IIK. Looking at the Tamron 70-300mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III RXD for Sony Mirrorless Full Frame/APS-C E-Mount. My question is about the Alpha E mount: is it APS-C? Should I be looking for a full-frame only Sony mount? Or are they one and the same?

Yes, I am new to the Sony system. Just bought a new A7IIK with the 70-300mm kit lens. I was a Nikon guy for over 40 years, but it is time to go full-frame mirrorless and I chose Sony for sentimental reasons. When I was editor-in-chief of Digital Camera Magazine, Sony was very kind to invite me to their initial Alpha launch and I have never forgotten the superb experience they laid out for us, so here I am, ready to learn again.

To clarify, Sony made a-mount cameras and e-mount cameras.  Some are APS  format and some, like yours, are full-frame.  Sony (and many others) made lenses with e-mounts and a-mounts.  Like the cameras, some are APS  format and some are full-frame.

So it can get confusing -- especially because some sellers don't specify (or don't know) if a lens is a-mount or e-mount, or APS or full-frame.

Because you have an e-mount, full-frame camera, you should get e-mount, full-frame lenses.

You can put e-mount APS lenses on your camera but they will not cover the entire frame.

You can also put a-mount lenses on your camera but they will need an adapter -- and offer you no advantage (unless it is a special lens that only came in a-mount).

So when shopping make sure it is a full-frame, e-mount lens.  There are many to choose from -- not just SONY.