Why sony why??????????????

Why why why the microphone jack not wriiten on it microphone???

And in your manual when i looked i didnt aee anything specified microphone jack,

Why make it so hard,

Ive took 2 years of videos that 1 in a life time ,i cant revideo it... And ll of it i was using professional microphone,it turns out ive been putting it in the headphones jack!!!!!

This is naking me so furious !! 

Where in your manual it shows the headphones and the microphone port?

Where dont you put a picture of the camera ,detailing every single thing ?

Seriously so mad about it,and ik sure it happens to a lot of people

8 hours ago, Shaypanda said:

Right here:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

😄 i just don't understand how you recorded 2 years without checking your footage. I always check before shooting to ensure everything is spot on working, and even after shooting to see if i properly exposed, if the sound is all right and so on.

What about checking the audio while recording? If you would've used a headset (which is a must if you are using a professional video) to listen and check audio levels while recording, you would've noticed the mistake.

Is it possible that the OP plugged the microphone into the headphone jack, but didn't use headphones, so the built-in microphone was still live, and so there is audio recorded, but but it was audio from the built in microphone, rather than the intended professional microphone? That would explain not spotting this sooner.

On my Sony cameras the microphone socket is red, and the headphone socket is not. And both are labelled with little icons - the headphone socket with a headphone symbol, and the microphone socket with a microphone symbol - the microphone one could be confused, but eh headphone one is pretty clear.

Which camera model are you using? Does yours have the little icons next to the sockets, and is the microphone socket red?

• 2 weeks later...

Many video recorders have separate microphone and audio jacks. Those are 3-pin ones. Sometimes there may be some combination, it is described in manuals, but for some products, yes, there are 4-pins for both microphone and headset in one 3.5mm jack.

And, still not standardized. There are two different pinouts "Apple" (Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground, Mic) and "Nokia" (Left Audio, Right Audio, Mic, Ground).

Of course, best practice is to immediately, after first video being taken, to check, play it at camera itself, or even better at some other device. Not good to check that next day, not to mention next year.

For that purpose, there are many, many card readers, to be used with smartphones, tablets, laptops. I have at least 3 of those every time I am making photos or videos. Easy to use, not heavy, not expensive. And, good for avoiding problems.

2 hours ago, Shaypanda said:

Ive thought its the same connection for mic and headset

On 3/17/2023 at 3:49 AM, Shaypanda said:

And in your manual when i looked i didnt aee anything specified microphone jack,

Why make it so hard

Dude, there is a symbol of a mic next to the mic port and a headphone icon next to the headphone port. Stop putting the blame on someone else and just accept you messed up.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

11 hours ago, Shaypanda said:

Ive thought its the same connection for mic and headset

That would be unusual. Normally you would want to plug in a microphone cable into one jack, and headphones into another. Separate cables, because the mike would be pointed at the person being recorded, and the headphones would be on the person doing the recording.

The only time I would imagine plugging a “headset” into a mike + headphones jack would be if you were recording a commentary / voice over. 

I don’t think this one can be blamed on Sony.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 2:49 AM, Shaypanda said:

Why make it so hard,

Ive took 2 years of videos that 1 in a life time ,i cant revideo it... And ll of it i was using professional microphone,it turns out ive been putting it in the headphones jack!!!!!

This is naking me so furious !! 

Where dont you put a picture of the camera ,detailing every single thing ?

Seriously so mad about it,and ik sure it happens to a lot of people

You failed to look before plugging, its RED & has a Symbal.

But also if your using the internal ADC to record audio with the video and not checking your levels with some actaully good quality  IEMs or refrance overears, Before a shoot then it does not matter what your doing thats a key mistake as there is no auto-gain, so your better off using a dedicated 32-bit float field recorder on a cage like a Zoom F2 these days if you want a thoughtless hit and go setup.

Also it should be noted, phone users cant tell the diffrnace between TS/TRS/TRRS 2/3/4 poll jack configs untill they learn about it, ware as all dedicated equipment has 1/4" (6.5mm) and XLR for input & 3.5mm, 1/4" (6.5mm) for monitoring by defacto.