Sigma vs Sony lenses

Sony offer a wider range of lenses with 3 main ranges FE - basic, G - very high quality and GM - top of the range. They also make Sony / Zeiss lenses which are designed in conjunction with Zeiss.

Sigma have 2 ranges A or Art for high quality and  c or Contemporary which are more general purpose.

Sony lenses obviously make full benefit of the features in Sony cameras, but the cameras restrict third party lenses - particularly at the highest end.

Sony GM lenses may be better than Sigma Art lenses, but they cost twice as much for the same basic specs.

So, with all these things, it is a matter of finding the best for you.

The question may start with "I am mostly photographing this in that environment".

Sony has some percentage of shares at Tamron (for good reason); so I would put Tamron close to mentioned ones. (I am using Tamron 24mm most of the time, mostly outside; landscape; cityscape). 

And; must say; I used other brands, manual, old lenses, really good ones (I do not plan to make images 100's feet high as ads at buildings, just up to a Letter or a A4 format :) ).

As already mentioned here, the "best" is not very precise word.

When I was using a Nikon DSLR (a D810), I tried, and was dissatisfied with, several Nikon lenses - I ended carrying Sigma Art prime lenses, even though they were big and heavy. 

Now I am using Sony, and I have several Sony GM lenses, and a few G lenses, and no Sigma lenses.

Are Sony lenses better than Sigma lenses? Depends. There is definitely no absolute answer. For some focal lengths it's easy - if only one of the two has a lens in that focal length...

You have decide what criteria are more important to you: are you looking for the best available lens for your camera, without much regard to cost? Or are you balancing price and performance? Are you willing to spend $X, and looking for the best lens within that budget? Are you looking for the least expensive lens that can do the job (the Samyang lenses may fit that role)? Or are there other criteria, like a fondness for lenses with a particular "character", or the ability to create beautiful sunstars? Are you looking for lightning fast AF, or do you want to focus the lens yourself?

I know someone who needs tilt/shift lenses for their work, and is willing to choose a camera brand based on the availability of tilt/shift lenses (He's using Canon EF at the moment). I have no need at all for tilt/shift lenses.

I know someone else who really enjoys using lenses that are older than she is (getting to be more and more of a challenge as she ages!). She has a variety of adapters and is far better at manual focus than I will ever be!

So what is important to you? And how important is it?

On 3/19/2023 at 6:19 AM, thebeardedgroundsman said:

Sony offer a wider range of lenses with 3 main ranges FE - basic, G - very high quality and GM - top of the range. They also make Sony / Zeiss lenses which are designed in conjunction with Zeiss.

Sigma have 2 ranges A or Art for high quality and  c or Contemporary which are more general purpose.

Sony lenses obviously make full benefit of the features in Sony cameras, but the cameras restrict third party lenses - particularly at the highest end.

Sony GM lenses may be better than Sigma Art lenses, but they cost twice as much for the same basic specs.

So, with all these things, it is a matter of finding the best for you.

Actually Sigma's Global Vision lenses have more than just A and C - there is also S for Sport. For example, the 150-600mm lens for DSLRs was offered in a 1.9 kg Contemporary version and a 2.9 kg Sport version which had several extra elements, and a interesting dual mode zoom that could be used as rotary (twist the zoom ring) or push-pull (grab the end of the lens and push or pull to zoom). I owned the Contemporary version for a while because the Sport was just too heavy for me. I just looked them up, and those two models have been replaced - the new Contemporary 150-600 is 1.8kg, and the new Sport 150-600 is 2.2kg - much lighter (although I am now using the Sony 200-500 at 2.1kg).

I have seen some mention of an I range, but I think those are a subset of Contemporary. 

Everyone's use is different but, since you asked, I only use Sony lenses on my Sony Cameras.  Some companies make cheaper lenses for Sony but no one makes better lenses for Sony cameras.  I have used many different lenses on my Sony bodies, shooting documentaries for years.  I've never had an issue with the Sony lenses. 

8 minutes ago, DenverSteve said:

Some companies make cheaper lenses for Sony but no one makes better lenses for Sony cameras.

Nonsense. Other companies make different lenses compared to Sony. Some better, some worse, some just... different. Compare the Sony 85mm f/1.4 GM to the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG DN: the Sigma is smaller, lighter, cheaper, sharper, with less aberrations and faster and quieter focussing. Many will therefore find it both optically better and of better value than the Sony. Yet the Sigma does have a lot more distortion and renders a cleaner look which some might find too 'clinical'. So to some, the Sony is the better choice.

Companies like Tamron offer lenses that Sony doesn't, like the 35-150 f/2-2.8. If that's what you want, Sony is simply not an option.

There are a number of manufacturers of lenses for Sony cameras both manual and auto focus and that is what makes the SONY system so great; we have a wealth of lenses to choose from. I use Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Nikon (with adapters) and other manufacturer's lenses to great effect depending on what I am trying to capture. There are many variables. You can research them by visiting photo blogs, company websites, photo sharing sites, or you can rent them to try them out, talk with salespeople at photo stores in your area and borrow lenses from friends, etc, prior to making a purchase.

7 hours ago, DenverSteve said:

I've never had an issue with the Sony lenses. 

I never have either -- but I've never had any problems with any of the NON-Sony lenses I've used either.

And if you read the posts on this FORUM, plenty of people have had various problems with some of the Sony lenses they have used.  And plenty of people have had various problems with some of the NON-Sony lenses they have used. 

Generalizing is inaccurate, inappropriate, and unhelpful.

43 minutes ago, XKAES said:

I never have either -- but I've never had any problems with any of the NON-Sony lenses I've used either.

And if you read the posts on this FORUM, plenty of people have had various problems with some of the Sony lenses they have used.  And plenty of people have had various problems with some of the NON-Sony lenses they have used. 

I didn't generalize, and am not concerned with others' issues.  The OP asked for opinions and I provided my opinion based on my decades of experience, relevant to the OP's question.  If your experience is different, please feel free to share that with the OP, if possible, without demeaning anyone else's answer. Shalom.

Edited by DenverSteve

Really, the one who asked for blunt generalization was the OP. In fact he didn't even ask for opinions, he just asked

On 3/9/2023 at 11:34 PM, watson22 said:

Which lenses are best Sigma vs Sony lenses

But to be honest I don't think he really cared. All he cared for was an audience to accidentally click the scamlink he inserted in his second post. And here we all are, having a discussion about semantics while OP is long gone.

1 hour ago, XKAES said:

You are correct - generalizing is unhelpful. I have highlighted your unsolicited response to me because it's the most useless generalization I've read here in years.  Now, please stop stalking me. If you would like to respond to this thread, please respond to the OP, and not me.  😜

If someone joins a conversation on a Forum, anyone can respond to it.  That's how Forums work.  Responding hardly qualifies as "unsolicited", let alone "stalking".  Dramatization never helps any discussion -- unless you're on stage. 

And I get you point Peiter.  The OP (watson22) was apparently hoping for a generalization -- and got some of what he was asking for.

Personally I love Sony cameras. I don't feel that all the GM lenses are so great. Many peoples, go to lens, is the 24-70 2.8 I only have the older one. I don't find it to be such a great lens, it feels heavy and I feel there is quite a lot of distortion, I cannot speak for the later series. I don't think that Sigma lenses are much better either. I would agree that if you have a Sony system, it makes sense to stick with Sony lenses. I have an exception to that rule, sometimes I like to use more "experimental" lenses, like Voightlander, where you will really get a completely different quality than with a Sony or Sigma lens. The great thing about a digital system, is that you can see your results immediately, so experimenting is without risk. 

I do the same sort of thing, but don't consider it "experimental".  Lots of photographers -- not just me -- use lots of non-Sony glass on their Sony cameras.   And a lot of it is non-AF glass.  I know, it's hard to imagine.

Many of the lenses I use were made before Sony made its first Walkman.

In my experience Sigma lenses with the same specs as Sony lenses are roughly half the price. Get the best glass you can at the moment. I'm very happy with my Sigma 24-70 "Art Lens." Heavy beast, but for an A7Siii it works a treat. I also acquired a cheap 35mm prime from a manufacturer I never heard of, used on an A72 along with its kit lens. These seem adequate. For now.

Best as always,
Loren

On 3/30/2023 at 5:07 AM, directordude said:

Personally I love Sony cameras. I don't feel that all the GM lenses are so great. Many peoples, go to lens, is the 24-70 2.8 I only have the older one. I don't find it to be such a great lens, it feels heavy and I feel there is quite a lot of distortion, I cannot speak for the later series. I don't think that Sigma lenses are much better either. I would agree that if you have a Sony system, it makes sense to stick with Sony lenses. I have an exception to that rule, sometimes I like to use more "experimental" lenses, like Voightlander, where you will really get a completely different quality than with a Sony or Sigma lens. The great thing about a digital system, is that you can see your results immediately, so experimenting is without risk. 

I believe that the reason Sony released the 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II was because they did not think the original was a great lens either!

The same applies (or even more so) to the original 70-200 f/2.8 GM - the GM II (which I own) has several advantages, including lighter weight, two independent focus groups, each with a pair of linear motors, and improved sharpness.

I would not judge GM lenses based on those two original lenses. 

In my opinion, Sony upped their game in 2019 with the release of the 135mm GM. This is an extraordinary lens, very sharp, beautifully made, and a pleasure to use. I have used mine on several Sony bodies, and it’s one of the best lenses I’ve ever used. Sony’s 50mm f/1.2 GM is another delightful lens. Sony is developing new technologies for making fine lenses - one of the new features we saw in the 135 GM was a new way to polish aspheric elements smoother than previously possible. And the new 70-200 GM II combined an aspheric surface with another element to reduce the element count (one of the reasons it’s lighter).

I will not tell you that every Sony GM lens is perfect. For a start, I have only used a handful, and I am not all that fond of the original 85 GM. But I do think Sony is thinking big with their GM range, and I like the way they are thinking 🤓, even if I suspect I will never afford a 400mm GM (I can still rent one!).

Sony make some good lens that are not GM - the 200-600 G is excellent, and the simple FE 85mm f/1.8 is really good.

Sometimes you want someone to make a really good lens, if only to give you something to measure other lenses against (and to encourage other lens makers to try harder!). You might never buy that lens, but you can say “This less-expensive lens is missing that feature, but I don’t need that, and this one is half the price”, or “this lens is heavier, but it’s half the price” 🙂 

The open E mount means that we can choose from many lens made by several manufacturers - if you want a very cheap lens, you can get one. Although I do worry a little when you see posts like “I just bought a Sony A1. Is the 50mm f/1.8 a good lens to use on it? I have a budget of $200.” 😭

• 2 weeks later...