New Voigtländer 1.7/35 tried on Alpha 7

I bought the Voigtländer 1.7/35 a couple of days ago and so far I am pretty impressed:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

21452123821_921952de23_o.jpg

20822532903_12619f1fd1_o.jpg

21255566050_73c44c5f80_o.jpg

20822533183_81335fa234_o.jpg

20820940094_988157956c_o.jpg

Full resolution:

100% crop:

21261216939_deb4edf595_b.jpg

The lens is not without issues but none the less I think that it is a very interesting lens on the a7 because it has absolutely gorgeous bokeh and it is very sharp and contrasty from f/1.7.
For a more technical analysis check out my Voigtländer 1.7/35 review.

your sample images in the review are not linked properly.

I'm looking for an 35mm art lens. This one looks promising. :)

Opps sorry,

I uploaded the first few images to flcikr and because I didn't want to spam my flickr stream with them I set them to private. I naver uploaded them in full resolution anyway. The images without the black frame are public and can be viewed in full resolution. Here is the flickr set: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96189377@N08/albums/72157658586201115

I'm curious if you thought about the 1.4 Nokton (or have tried it), which on paper is smaller and wider-aperture...

Have you tried it and there are problems, or heard about issues on the A7s?

I have the FE 35/2.8, but I'd love a faster lens which has the same or less length, even if it has some character!

I'm curious if you thought about the 1.4 Nokton (or have tried it), which on paper is smaller and wider-aperture...

Have you tried it and there are problems, or heard about issues on the A7s?

I have the FE 35/2.8, but I'd love a faster lens which has the same or less length, even if it has some character!

Never used that lens but from what I have read it is very soft at f/1.4 and still not very sharp stopped down. Bokeh also seems to be a lot harsher.

I have updated the Review with many sample images: Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Review

21552119396_f830a76d8e_h.jpg

21388789838_91cbafd6ba_h.jpg

21388380730_5100dbe32c_h.jpg

21388635808_5381b5dde4_h.jpg

21565258302_eb2ea9f31b_h.jpg

it´s a shame that these voigtländer lenses are kind of hard to get in austria, i wrote foto koch like 1 month ago when they will get the 40mm 1.4, but never got a message back

i guess you are using the close focus distance adapter? which one is it? these are quite expensive

I is the secon time I dealt with them and everything went smoothly, sorry about your experience.

I use a normal adapter without helicoid. Would love to have one with helicoid but boy, they are expensive and so far it's my only M-mount lens.

it´s a shame that these voigtländer lenses are kind of hard to get in austria, i wrote foto koch like 1 month ago when they will get the 40mm 1.4, but never got a message back

i guess you are using the close focus distance adapter? which one is it? these are quite expensive

Foto Koch have always gotten back to me within a few days. And no problems with orders ... other that the wait for a Batis, which is not their fault.

IMO the Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 is terrible on an A7* camera. I used mine last week after a break of some months, and afterwards its pretty clear (again) why I was not using it. It works fine on a film camera.

Drasko....i have the cheaper adapter you mentioned and a hawks factory, the hawks factory is a little bit better, it is tighter but the cheap one is also very good, but maybe not for bulky lenses.

i live also in austria and bought my voigtländer glas at foto mundus in Meppen germany, good price and good service

http://www.fotomundus24.de/shop/voigtl%C3%83%C2%A4nder-c-55.html?osCsid=qeeio37la3vngj0sg1uceglou1

voigtländer 35mm 1.2 is also awesome on A7 much better than nokton 40 1.4

if you like 40mm more go for a used summicron C40 or minolta m-rokkor 40 F2 (same lens as summicron but cheaper)

the minolta MD III 35mm 2.8 is also very good but bigger and a little bit slow

thx philip

timde can you explain why the 40 1.4 is so bad? the sample pictures on flickr look pretty good to me

On an A7ii - smearing, vingetting, color cast etc ... at f8 its good, but the lens only goes to f16, and any lens is good at f8 anyway.

IMO it makes no sense to pay 5-600 for that lens, plus an additional 1-200 for an adapter, when for the same money you can get a Loxia 50 ... or for a little more a Loxia 35 -  both of which work all the way from f2 to f22 without problem, have close focus built in, AND are significantly better lenses.

The 40 f1.4 only exists to serve idiots like me who buy 30 year old Minolta CLE's with 40mm frame lines in the rangefinder.

Thanks, it seems there is one of those laws in

effect: A lens can be fast (aperture), small, or

sharp; pick any two!

Thaz why I stick with 35mm f:2.0 SLR-type lenses.

No attempt to be compact, but not huge like a 35

f:1.4, and crazy sharp with great illumination. I use

an AI Nikkor and a Canon EF.

Like everyone else in this thread I do love a tiny

lens, so I go for the pancakes, EF-s 24, EF 40 and

AI 50. But these are all SLR lenses, so due to the

length of the adapter, the AI 50 doesn't exactly hug

close to the camera body. The EF pancakes look

nice and compact on the Canon SLR bodies.

`