a7siii RAW photos appear too dark

Hello everyone,
Since a large group here works with the a7siii, I put my question here.
When I shoot RAW photos with my a7siii, they are super dark when I put them in lightroom. So dark that I sometimes have to slide some sliders all the way to the right until they can't go any further. The JPG photos, on the other hand, are normally exposed (as it looked when I took the photo).
I never had this problem with the a7iii. D range optimizer is turned off and if I reset the camera to factory settings, the problem persists.
It's not my lightroom either, because on my buddy's laptop and my phone (lightroom) we see the same problem.

I've added 2 the exact same pictures so you can see it. 1 in RAW and 1 in JPG.

I wonder if anyone knows if this can be fixed!
Let me know.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Carlo,

I just found the solution to this problem in another thread here.  Set your picture profile to PP Off.  Most users are using PP8 for their movie settings (S-Gamut3.cine/S-Log3) and when that carries over to your photo settings, it causes the 2-stop 'error' darkening your shots.  Otherwise, just pick your file formats you want (raw, jpg, heif, etc) and that should be all you need.  And remember, you can tell your camera to use separate settings for video and photography so you're not needing to make that change every time you jump from movie to stills.  I hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
On 8/19/2021 at 11:51 PM, TVWXMAN said:

Hi Carlo,

I just found the solution to this problem in another thread here.  Set your picture profile to PP Off.  Most users are using PP8 for their movie settings (S-Gamut3.cine/S-Log3) and when that carries over to your photo settings, it causes the 2-stop 'error' darkening your shots.  Otherwise, just pick your file formats you want (raw, jpg, heif, etc) and that should be all you need.  And remember, you can tell your camera to use separate settings for video and photography so you're not needing to make that change every time you jump from movie to stills.  I hope this helps.

how do you set it so your camera uses seperate settings for photo & video?

I believe on the 7Sii if you're in PP8 for video then any pics taken will ALSO be PP8 unless in Silent Shutter at which they'd be normal. But +2 stops in video also translates to being +2 in photo so maybe something similar is going on here. (I should pull out the 7Sii to check this as I'm relying on distant memory here.)