Sony FE 1.8/55 ZA T* Review

When it was released the FE55 received very positive reviews but I found it to be too expensive to buy. Now that prices have come down a bit I bought one and I have to say that I am really impressed by it, it is a significant upgrade from the classic lenses I normally use. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The short version of my Sony FE 1.8/55 ZA Review:

good

•  
  • sharp across the frame from f/1.8
  • very smooth bokeh
  • built quality
  • very high contrast and excellent flare resistance

average

• size
  • value
  •  

not good

•  
  • manual focusing experience
  • LoCA
  • onion rings
  •  

20355309711_9892e3d6a3_o.jpg

20355312211_465849073c_o.jpg

19645167033_5259559759_o.jpg

20272006241_d9391e89bc_o.jpg

I bought the A7II and was seriously contemplating between the 55 1.8 and 35 1.4. Bit the bullet and got the 35 1.4. Really loved it. I would love to have the 55 1.8 too because of the size and sharpness but like you said it's not cheap esp when I got the 35 1.4 already. . Have you shot with the 35 1.4 before? What comments would you give with regards to this 2 lens disregarding the focal length?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Have you shot with the 35 1.4 before? What comments would you give with regards to this 2 lens disregarding the focal length?

No I haven't, the price is out of my leaque and the size a bit offputing. I really liked the images other people posted. Personaly I would pice a 55 over a 35 if I could only choose one.The bulk of the 35 would make that choice easier for me. If I did a lot of reportage work I would prefer the 35.

It's a great lens, it's hard to change after it is put on the body. :)

I like the style of the pictures. Did you use a filter on the lense, or only lightroom?

Hello Phillip, really like shot #1 & #3, what did you use for image processing, if you would explain what you did?

Really nice!

Christopher

I used Lightroom to process the images, I wrote more detailed blog post about postprocessing some time ago. ere you go

Hey, great review and awesome shots! Loving what I'm seeing from this lens. 

As it stands, I just switched to sony and its my only lens at the moment. It's very sharp and all, but I've found the CA, as you've mentioned to be worse than I expected. I've only seen rave reviews and am wondering if it's my copy or everyone's that exhibits such CA. Have a look below at the crops to see examples of some bad cases. 

Note that the tree was shot wide open, while the table set was shot at f/2.5

Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!