A7sIII Vertical Clips

dssskm

Got my A7S III yesterday, it's amazing all around, being able to AFC with the sigma mc 11 and canon lenses while recording was HUGE,  and didn't know it since everyone on youtube were trying on native lenses.

Only think that has bugged me a bit is that I went to film a wedding today, and from 750 video files at least 15 or them are vertical (1078x1920) not sure if this was because of having it on the strap and starting to record before time or something..

Does someone know if there is anything about vertical recording in the menu?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I know nothing!

I don't shoot video but I have heard that some modern cameras allow for the vertical format to be shot to cater for those who like to view video on mobile phones.

If you are shooting stills as well as video, is it possible that when you set up for Video you are accidentally setting the wrong format?

I know I sometimes set a wrong setting in various menus.

good luck with finding the cause/solution.

I've had my A7SIII for seven days now and have had this happen as well. Luckliy it happened while I was just putzing around with it but it was alarming at first. I do remember hitting record before the camera was level. I have combed the menus hundreds of times and convinced there simply is no way to lock orientation. Weird, since orientation lock would be possible on a smartphone. :-\

I have no solution yet, but meanwhile we can place our camera horizontally, press record and then turn it vertical. 

I know this is no ideal, but that was the only way I found.

(Sorry my English)

EOB

Edited by Erwin

I got this response from a Sony rep;

The A7SM3 records the gyroscopic information about the camera’s Rotation & Angle and writes that into the metadata, so the camera is operating as intended although the outcome is not as expected.

You can rectify this inadvertent vertical shooting by using Catalyst Browse software (https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/catalystbrowse ) to set the Rotate Preview to “0” rather than “Auto”. This can be found under the Gear icon in the top right of the Catalyst Browse workspace. 

The rotated footage can then be Exported from Catalyst Browse before being imported to the NLE of choice.

Hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issue on the FX3. Really annoying because the tilted clip is very distorted in Premiere CC 2021 and I can't just rotate it by 90° . I have to export it from catalyst which takes three hours for a 45 min clip on my machine.

I really hope for a firmware update from Sony so this "feature" can be disabled in the menu.

Cheers

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/8/2021 at 7:26 PM, SCVJay said:

I got this response from a Sony rep;

The A7SM3 records the gyroscopic information about the camera’s Rotation & Angle and writes that into the metadata, so the camera is operating as intended although the outcome is not as expected.

You can rectify this inadvertent vertical shooting by using Catalyst Browse software (https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/catalystbrowse ) to set the Rotate Preview to “0” rather than “Auto”. This can be found under the Gear icon in the top right of the Catalyst Browse workspace. 

The rotated footage can then be Exported from Catalyst Browse before being imported to the NLE of choice.

Hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

I've tried this and it's not working. Well, the clip does rotate, but when I export it's still vertical.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't able to find a setting or option to fix this BEFORE it happens but you can fix it after.

For Sony A7Siii
Menu > Playback > Edit > Rotate

Your videos will pop up and just go through them one by one and rotate. It doesn't take long at all. When you import now the files with be horizontal.

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, eyelensvisuals said:

... I didn't buy a $3500 camera for stupid Instagram videos,...

Ran a test with mine a while back to verify the issue and it all comes down to having the camera oriented the proper direction before you hit RECORD. Horizontal > RECORD = Horizontal videos. Vertical > RECORD = Vertical video even if you rotate to horizontal later on. Because I'm attentive & judicious to orientation prior to triggering I have never had to suffer reorienting in post.

• 1 month later...

Can I ask you what software you use.  I shot some video today with a Sony A7MKII  I set it up on a tripod vertically.  When I imported the video into Final cut it turned it horizontal.  

Not sure why and more importantly, not sure how to turn it vertically.  Any help would be much appreciated.

I believe Sony Catalyst Browse (free) will do this. I rarely use it but from what I recall...

And for vertical video to show vertical you need to set up your project in the same orientation. 1080x1920 (9x16) instead of 1920x1080 (16x9).