A7R5: My CLIP folder is empty but VIDEOS are shown in camera

Promaximus

When I try to access my clip folder to copy my videos to my hard drive, finder folder is empty. I can play videos in my camera (so they are there) but they are not shown in my mac. Lightroom / Premiere doesn't find video files either. I can access to my photos just fine but not videos.

My situation:

• I shot videos and photos using two card slots
    • Videos are in slot 1
    • Photos are in slots 1 and 2
  • I'm using:
    • OSX Ventura 13.5.2
    • Sony A7R5
    • Lexar Professional 128GB SDXC UHS-II (1000x, 150Mb/s) sd card

How can I solve this?

Edited by Promaximus

• Promaximus changed the title to A7R5: My CLIP folder is empty but VIDEOS are shown in camera

Somehow the recording format was switched from what you normally use. Look for the AVCHD file in the PRIVATE folder. It's actually a folder and am dead certain you'll find the videos there.

This happens to me on occasion, too. Only reason I can show where the files are is because this was the case 2 weeks ago. I NEVER shoot HVCHD but did that day somehow.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by VTC

Keep looking. Since you can view in camera they're there. 

Sorting by SIZE will tell you where they are. On a Mac what you need to do is CONTROL click the big file and select Show Package Contents, a sort of a folder. Find another large file & do the same thing until you get to the goods.

Thanks for trying to help but there is nothing to sort :)

I have to check
if this issue occurs only with A7RV. When I shot with A7IV I didn't have this problem: but I shot 60 fps slow motion with 1080 not 4k as I am now.

Edited by Promaximus

12 hours ago, Promaximus said:

I can play videos in my camera (so they are there) but they are not shown in my mac.

Odd. Using a card reader? If so hook computer directly to the camera and use that as the reader. Eject any other cards you have mounted. You may be  mistakenly reading off the wrong (& therefore empty) card and not the one containing the video so readily played in camera.

Wouldn't make any difference the frame rate or resolution was. A file is a file is a file, be it a cookie recipe or audio. You should be able to locate / see it as some kind of an asset. A NLE may not be able to edit 120 fps or 4k but you should be able to get your hands on it and shove it someplace.

Edited by VTC

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same problem here but with photos, found a way.

WORKAROUND: Download our good old lord and savior TotalCommander, read the card through it. I did it reading the SD card directly, should probably work when plugging the camera

Still have no idea why this happens though. Not my camera, but prior to this the user drag and dropped the photos directly, but ended up with only thumbnail sized photos. Format is HIF.

Would be nice to know the reason though