PK to E mount adapter with diaphragm control?

tadwil

Does such a beast exist?  I mostly have legacy PK mount lenses for which there are lots of adapters available (and have) but I do have a few modern PK AF lenses without aperture rings that I would like to try with the A7II.  Any links or pictures of the adapter would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up: There seems to be quite a few brands of these type of adapter after all.  I searched for DA to NEX adapter and quite a few of them popped up in eBay.  The same search in Amazon.ca led to this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078HJ5JS9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although the better priced adapters are available on eBay I chose Amazon for their much quicker turn around time.  I just hope the adapter works as it should.

40 minutes ago, tadwil said:

I just hope the adapter works as it should.

Did you see bullet point #4 in your above link? (Highlights by myself)

• There are no electrical contacts in the adapter ring. Autofocus, automatic aperture and AE metering will be DISABLED. Exposure and focus has to be adjusted manually.

29 minutes ago, Chrissie said:

Did you see bullet point #4 in your above link? (Highlights by myself)

Of course, shooting with legacy adapted lenses means aperture priority or manual.  That's just par for the course when one shoots with Pentax cameras and lenses from as far back as sixty plus years.  What these DA to NEX adapter (hopefully) allows me to do is to manually open and close the diaphragm on the current Pentax DA lenses without aperture rings.  If the adapter I just purchased can do that without being to fiddly, I would be happy enough.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:36 PM, Pieter said:

How do you expect that would work without any communication between camera and lens? For that you need electronic contacts on the adapter.

Whoa, now that makes me feel real old - talk about technological generation gap!? 

In the Menu: 4th page under the 2nd Tab, enable "Release w/o Lens".  This will let you trip the shutter without any lens in front of your camera.  When I mount any of my legacy lenses to the A7II (along with an appropriate contact-less adapter), the camera acts as if there is no lens mounted.  Even so, I can still manually focus and adjust the aperture range with the focus and aperture rings on the lens.  Every DSLR and MILC bodies will automatically adjust the exposure settings when the diaphragm opens or closes (Aperture Priority mode).  Whether this is done manually by turning the aperture ring on the lens (myself) or by turning the front dial (default setting) on the camera to electronically set the aperture opening via the contacts on your native lenses (you), the camera does it's best to set the appropriate exposure setting.

For sure, it's a lot more convenient to shoot with native lenses but other than the lack of Auto-Focus, shooting with legacy lenses without contacts has a certain charm and rewards.  In fact, I probably will not invest in any Sony FE lenses other than the 28-70 kit lens that came with the camera.

I know how to use manual (non-communicating) lenses, I have one which I enjoy using on occasion. I was just referring to this phrase:

On 7/4/2020 at 7:47 AM, tadwil said:

What these DA to NEX adapter (hopefully) allows me to do is to manually open and close the diaphragm on the current Pentax DA lenses without aperture rings.

Since you say these lenses have no aperture ring, I assume you should adjust the aperture by turning the aperture dial in-camera. For that to work, you need your camera to communicate with the lens. These adapters have no electronic contacts and therefore do not facilitate camera-lens communication. Hence my question:

On 7/4/2020 at 8:36 AM, Pieter said:

How do you expect that would work

Unlike Sony, Canon, Nikon or any of the other mainstream brands that went 100% electronic connections to control everything, Pentax retained the mechanical control over the aperture settings to this day.  It never occurred to me to look for a DA to NEX adapter until I saw a picture of a DA to Fujifilm X-mount adapter at another forum.  The Haoge adapter I bought from Amazon has a zebra ring around the adapter body which should move the lever inside the adapter side to side.  Which in turn would push the aperture control linkage on the lens to open and close the diaphragm. 

I am wondering whether a DA lens aperture would click into place at every 1/3 or 1/2 stop or will it be like a cine lens without clicks - probably the latter.

• 3 months later...

It may be of interest to hear an AF adapter has recently been announced for Pentax lenses (which will also control apertures)

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/this-is-the-prototype-of-thw-worlds-first-monsteradapter-la-ke1-pentax-k-mount-to-sony-e-mount-autofocus-adapter/

I heard about it just after receiving my DA-Nex adapter (which has fairly limited movement compared to aperture rings, and no click stops at all) I don't think the movement directly correlates to f-stop, just progressively closing the aperture over the course of ~20mm movement.

FWIW though most of my DA lenses only cover slightly more than APSC at most focal lengths, I found the DA55-300 covers FF throughout it's range. This will be VERY useful if I can get AF with it! Just have to wait till the monster adapters released :)

Edited by petrochemist

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 2:23 AM, Koenr said:

This adapter has clicks (7 in total). I am using it on my A7II and A6000 and am very satisfied with it. https://www.kentfaith.com/KF06.310_pentax-k-m-a-fa-da-lenses-to-sony-e-mount-pk-da-e-adapter

What does each of those 7 clicks represent, do you get full stop's worth of reduction in the shutter speed per click as the diaphragm closes down?

• 1 year later...

I am in the process of switching from Pentax to the Sony a7RV and purchased the adapter listed at https://www.monsteradapter.com/products/la-ke1-pentax-k-mount-lenses-to-sony-e-mount-cameras-adapter. It is supposed to arrive today or tomorrow so I will be testing it out. It is supposed to provide full control including AF but only supports newer lenses. I have the DA* 200 and 300, the D FA 50 1.4, and the D FA* 70-200 that are all supposed to work with it. I will post back any thoughts after testing it.

I tried out the Monster adapter this afternoon shooting some birds in my yard and tonight at a basketball game. It does allow autofocus and I got some good shots of birds and at the game but is much slower than with native E mount lenses. The biggest problem I had shooting the game was that the viewfinder blacked out as I took the shots and the burst mode was much slower. I mainly wanted to see if it would allow me to use my Pentax FA* 70-200 (a really nice lens.) I put in for a refund and have ordered the Sony 70-200 GM OSS 2 lens. Here is a shot I got with my DA* 300.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by GvilleRick

Here is a shot from the basketball game taken with an a7RV and Pentax D FA* 70-200.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 2/1/2023 at 6:41 AM, GvilleRick said:

I am in the process of switching from Pentax to the Sony a7RV and purchased the adapter listed at https://www.monsteradapter.com/products/la-ke1-pentax-k-mount-lenses-to-sony-e-mount-cameras-adapter. It is supposed to arrive today or tomorrow so I will be testing it out. It is supposed to provide full control including AF but only supports newer lenses. I have the DA* 200 and 300, the D FA 50 1.4, and the D FA* 70-200 that are all supposed to work with it. I will post back any thoughts after testing it.

Thanks for testing the Monster Adapter for DA/PK lens.  I had my hopes up when this adapter finally became a reality but reading about it's limited compatibility with newer lenses only, I realized it wasn't for me.  It's good to see the images you have posted - the adapter seems to work very well - albeit slowly.  I guess this adapter is for a Pentax owner who wants to dabble with Sony E bodies but doesn't want to acquire any E-mount lenses. 

If you have any more images taken with the adapter, please post them or post the link(s) to the photo site that you use.

I used it for a good bit during the basketball game. I was hoping that it might work well enough with my Pentax 70-200 f/2.8 so that I could use it until I decide to get an E mount lens. While  I was able to get some good photos I found it was not fast enough, the viewfinder blacked out when I pressed the shutter, and the burst mode was just not usable. I returned it to B&H this afternoon and ordered the Sony 70-200 OSS II. 

On 2/4/2023 at 1:36 AM, tadwil said:

You are doing the right thing if you want to use your A7RV to it's fullest potential.  I shoot mostly with MF K-mount lenses so a generic dumb adapter is sufficient for my needs.

I will probably pick up a cheap adapter to use some manual focus lenses. I have a 14mm Rokinon and some old Pentax MF lenses.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...