WouterdeKoster

How can I turn off AF with shutter on my Sony a7iii?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is really annoying that when I am video recording with continuous AF mode and I half press the shutter that my camera does refocus. Is there a way to turn this off???

In the stills menu you can turn off AF with shutter, but this doesn't work for video. I hope there is someone that can help me!

Posted (edited)

How about not pressing the button? There is a way to disable this in a 7Sii for better focus when you need it and the option should be available in a 7iii. The shutter button AF racks the focus in a jarring fashion. There's a way to smooth this whole process out.

Turn AF w/shutter to OFF. Then assign AF/MF to back button AF. This way a press of the button allows you to manually focus on a spot while shooting, move image reference to something else, then releasing the button AFs to the new subject matter. The new acquisition of the focus point ramps smoothly into play, instead of the rack in, rack out, in, out, panic stop, PING. 

Edited by VTC

I want to press the button to video record or sometimes accidentally. there is a option, but it only works for photo mode, not for video. I know how to set it up on a back button, but that doesn't solve te problem of the half press shutter button.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Nate Crocs
      Has anyone had and issue with their Sony camera flickering outside? I've been scouring the internet for the last 2 days trying to figure it out and have yet to find anything. Im shooting on a Sony a7iii, with a Sigma 100-400 Canon. MC-11 adapter. All of which are updated to the newest firmware. The issue only happens when shooting 1080, 120fps. 60, 30, and 24fps work fine. My shutter speed is the correct 1/250. ISO is manually set, and so are white balance, and all other settings. Nothing is set to auto. Here is the link to an example video: https://youtu.be/dKlSIuqQIAc.  I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks! 
    • By mirrorlessNY(youtuber)
      Hi, wonder if anyone is familiar with this, A7Riii has 42mp sensor while A7iii is 24mp, what effect does pixel size have on low light video, besides the obvious max ISO limit, thank you

• By Meestar
      Hi all,

New to this forum, in the hope that someone can help solve this mystery. I recently installed PIE (Picture Information Extractor) more out of interest than anything else. But one thing this shows is the shutter count as it is held in the EXIF metadata. I have had my A7II for little over a year and was surprised to see a shutter count of around 14000. I am not a professional and do take loads of images but not that much.

Now I looked at a number of images taken on my holiday last year. The first image has a shutter count of 2207, the last taken 16 days later, has a count of 7535, that's 5328 shutter actuation (an average of 333/day) I also looked at the image names, the first was DCS01090, the final was DSC01758, suggesting less than 700 images taken.

I tried some other EXIF software, and they all come up with the same number of actuation - It just does not seem right.

Is perhaps ImageCount not quite what it seems? or am I missing something?
    • By E93
      I know DSLR after so many shots you need to replace the senor. However, been mirrorless doesn't have shutter, does it still have some kind of counts after so many shots the senor need to be replace?

I'm very new in mirrorless camera.
    • By Bernie
      I just received my Sony a7iii less than a week ago.  When attaching and taking some test photos with a newly received Sony 70-300mm lens, suddenly the f-stop was displayed as "F--", and there was no image visible on the display, or EVF.  I turned off the camera and reconnected the Sony 90mm lens, and same thing, F-- for the fstop value.  Since this occurred with two different lenses, the problem seems to be with the camera.  I tried a reset in the menu, but this did not work, none of the menu items would work.  So I removed the battery for about 30 seconds, replaced it, and it's been fine for a couple of days now.
      Has anyone else seen this type of glitch in the a7iii??   I did see one other thread regarding the F-- issue.  I'm inclined to return the camera to amazon, especially since the box that it was shipped in looked to be in bad shape, bad enough I took photos of it.
      -Thanks
    • My a7R4 on a DJI Matrice 600 drone won't display "REC" and "STNBY" on the external monitor on the ground (DJI CrystalSky Ultra 7.85), so when I tell the Sony to start and stop video recording, it does the start and stop, but I can't tell when it's recording or not. I see "REC" and "STNBY" on the a7R4 LCD, but when the camera is in the air, that's no help. I've been to some YouTube videos but they haven't given me a Sony menu solution. Anyone here know where in the Sony a7R4 menu to produce a non
    • Pieter,   You answer your own question why: " absolute best image quality despite bigger file size and more noise on pixel level."   Given my experience with 35mm, med and large format I know what increased resolution looks like even with much smaller prints of 8x10 and 11x14. In this case its certainly not marketing crap. Its a real world improvement. If you are using the kit zoom then perhaps there is not much more to resolve but again I'm using quality prime lenses and I know
    • Hello you all! I'm trying to make an automatic turntable for object 3D scanning (photogrammetry). I use this connector to interact with camera multiport: Sony pinout on Multiport For now it's working well, I use some custom electronics to trigger the shutter connecting trigger pin to GND. But it only work with the self-timer activated. It makes my scan process really slow then (even with the 2sec selftimer) Do you know a way to use directly the trigger pin (I mean,
    • I was also going to mention the A7x's. 24mp is absolutely fine for me, image quality is great and it's more than big enough for any print I would ever want to do. Until then, I don't see a need for more. For what it's worth, I previously owned a Pentax K1 (36mp). It was nice to have that additional crop-ability but it was entirely unnecessary for every scenario I would use my photographs (currently).
    • Hi, many forums and the "pros" once were certain that the star eater issue makes the Sony A7 Series unusable for astrophotography but I always had good results with my Sony A7rII. So I recently went ahead and had it astromodified. The thick IR-Block Filterglas was replaced with a thin Baader substitute that lets IR Light down to the h-alpha line and the sII line through to the sensor with high transmission. The results can be seen in detail on my google drive link here: https://drive.g