Turn off flash in Manual mode

tbear

Hi,

Got my Sony A7RII a few days ago and I ran into my first issue with the camera:

When I try to set the flash to off i get an annoying error message saying: "This operation or setting not available as follows: Shoot Mode / Manual".

The same goes for all the other modes except Auto.

Is there a work around for this?

That's an easy one: As the A7RII doesn't have a flash you can't actually set it to "flash OFF". It's just trying to tell you that it doesn't have a flash to turn off.

Why doesn't it let you set it to OFF without a flash? I don't know. But it doesn't matter.

When you put a Sony flash on it, then it will recognize it, and let you set it to OFF without any warning.

Just put it on fill and let it be ;)

Ok. That's gonna be a problem for me because I will be using the Sony an underwater housing, where I often need to shoot in ambient light only. I need to have the possibility to switch on and off. Turning the two strobes off one at a time will probably be quite frustrating.

I can't see the reason why it should not be possible, especially in manual mode where you are supposed to have full control.

What 2 strobes ?

How is all of that connected together ?

Sony cameras can only control dedicated flashes through the camera menu. Any other flash that does not communicate with the camera can not get commands from the camera except simple trigger (like a computer peripheral that dedicated flashes of today have become) 

I have a dedicated trigger with LED-lights on the hot-shoe that fire the strobes through fibers. It is also possible to use a bulkhead connector, but I don't think that will make any difference.

On my Olympus mirrorless as well on my previous Nikon there has never been any problem to switch on and off the flash functionality on the camera itself.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I just received my new A7S and started doing some tests and getting used to the new camera. After a couple of shots I switched from the manual mode to video mode and made a short video. Then I switched backed to M and the only thing I see is a black screen. Only when I press the release button, my camera shows me some image, however it tries to take pictures using flash even if I don't have any and I never tried to put any on this camera. When I go to menu and try to switch the flash, this option is not available, saying "not possible in M mode" or something like that. How can I disable flash in M mode? I cannot take any pictures and experiment with this camera. I only use cameras in M mode, no automatic modes! I switched from A77ii and I had never had any problems like this with the A77ii. Please suggest some solutions.

Ps. on another forum, someone suggests putting a flash on the camera and then turning it off. But I do not own any flash and I never tried to put any on my A7s...