My Sony A7 II as back up for my Nikon D810... and why I decided to sell after all

31339668.jpg

(D810 + AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G @f/2 1/100s)

31339667.jpg

(D810 + AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G @f/2 1/100s)

I've been a Sony user from the start, ever since I first bought the RX1R about 2 years ago. I dove into the DSLR world on Nikon's side when I purchased the Df and then the D810 last year. After selling my RX1R, I've always been thinking of buying a backup-cam for my everyday use (because let's be honest, the D810 is a chunk of a camera). 

That's how it started.

It looked like it was a good timing for me to buy the A7 II after seeing mostly positive reviews online, and with me going more hands-on in camera shops, I decided, "Yeah, why not." I was always jealous of the A7 II's 5-axis IBIS and better ergonomics, coming from using the IMHO ergonomically-poor RX1R. The auto-focus was for me, apparently faster and more accurate than both the RX1R and the A7/R/S even in single point AF. Therefore, in the end, it was the A7 II for me.

31339660.jpg

(This was me testing out my friend's A7R for a few days,α7R + FE 16-35 F4 ZA OSS @f/4 1/20s)

31339662.jpg

(This was me testing out my friend's A7R for a few days,α7R + FE 16-35 F4 ZA OSS @f/4 1/20s)

Thoughts on the A7 II:

There is quite a design change ergonomically for the A7 II compared to the A7R. Although it's not a whole overhaul of the body design, it is pretty apparent once one grabs onto the grip on both cameras. The plastic dials are easier to turn IMO, and my middle finger finally has a comfortable place to rest on the grip. Overall, I enjoyed the ergonomics of the A7 II more than the A7R.

As for the lens, there was no other answer for me at the time than starting out with the Zeiss Sonnar T* 55mm F1.8 ZA (keep in mind this was pre-Distagon 35mm F1.4 announcement). This also deterred me from buying the Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art for my D810, with the Sony-Zeiss being smaller, demonically sharp wide-open, and free from needing focus micro-adjustments at all times.

The single point AF on the A7 II, IMO, has reached the level of 'capable' in comparison to the D810. Although my D810 trumps the A7 II when it comes to continuous tracking AF, with Nikon's AF-C 3D tracking being almost god-like in real life usage, the A7 II tracking is quite fine in the center area where the PDAF points lie. Single point of the A7 II is a pain in low-light situations, but at least the camera doesn't pretend to grab focus when it is actually out of focus like my previous experiences with the Olympus E-M1 and E-M10.

31339612.jpg

(α7 II + Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA @f/1.8 1/4000s)

31339620.jpg

(α7 II + Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA @f/1.8 1/1250s)

31339626.jpg

(α7 II + Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA @f/5 1/60s)

A7 II pairs fine with my Yongnuo 560TX + YN56-IV combination. This is a great news. I sometimes even think of replacing my D810 and make my Sony the main-cam. However, it's only after real usage of both in shoots that I started to realize how difficult it's for me to balance both cameras' RAW files in post to have similar colors and tonality. Even with the help of Lightroom and Photoshop, I found that both cameras/lenses combination produce quite different color rending even with RAW files.

31339689.jpg

31339688.jpg

31339687.jpg

(More to come... Will talk about mounting Nikon lenses... Editing in progress...)

Sorry, I'm new to this forum and I couldn't find the "edit" function for the post, so I guess I'll have to continue from here:

Apart from my Sony-Zeiss 55mm, I also borrowed my friend's Zeiss FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS and Leica SUMMILUX-M 50mm f1.4 ASPH. for some of my shoots. I have to say the 55mm is still my favorite of all. Sharp, compact, satisfying bokeh-rendering and fast in AF performance. I could not complain more.

The most important con I have in using the A7 II is the fact that I have to tap an extra function button when I want to change my AF point. I set this function on the C2 key, but the fact that I cannot change the AF point directly still nagged me in many of my shoots when I wanted to change my composition quickly.

31339655.jpg

31339650.jpg

17161145651_b5cda85171_k.jpg

16961758696_0730d79e59_k.jpg

17033534962_3aea587413_k.jpg

Nikon Lenses:

After two-weeks in use of my newly bought A7 II, I decided to try mounting my Nikon lenses on via an adapter. However, IMO focus-peaking isn't the most reliable option to check MF without the help of magnification. Sure, in most situations focus-peaking is great, but I found that magnifying the focus point is the best way to grab my focus dead-on. (Especially when it comes to adapting more telephoto lenses where the DoF is so thin that focus-peaking is nearly invisible)

Here I want to share a few shots adapting some of my Nikon lenses to the A7 II, mostly shot wide-open and without correction of distortion nor chromatic aberrations.

31339663.jpg

(α7 II + AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G)

31339664.jpg

(α7 II + AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G)

31339659.jpg

(α7 II + AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G)

31339657.jpg

31339751.jpg

31339732.jpg

(α7 II + Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AI)

31339733.jpg

(α7 II + Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AI【This shot is clearly out of focus, but check out that cool bokeh rendition!】)

31339744.jpg

31339743.jpg

Lastly, my conclusion and why I decided to go back on using only my Nikon gear:

AF performance  - Pretty good in single point without tracking. Tracking? Nah, I'll go back using my Nikon.

Ergonomics - Not bad with native lenses, but really awkward when adapting SLR glass. 

Operation - THAT "CHANGE AF-POINT" MECHANISM MAKES ME WANT TO CHOKE SONY SOFTWARE DESIGNERS.

Lens options - 55mm F1.8 is a dream. I haven't tried out the 35mm 1.4 but I guess it'll be pretty good on the A7 II. I would like to see some faster glass on this system if I come back in the future.

IBIS - Effect is apparent and positive, but not too surprising for me coming from the Olympus E-M1 and E-M10.

EVF - The best in its class. In comparison to the E-M1.

Tilt screen - YES. But please, Sony, make it a touch screen also in the future.

High ISOs - I don't see too much of a difference when I compared it to my Nikon D810.

In the end, I went back to only shooting Nikon because the AF-point changing issue nagged me very often. You may say that I am overreacting a bit, but that's just hindering my workflow, and my shooting style is hard to change after enjoying my Nikon gear for a period of time. I also found it difficult to balance colors in post, taking me extra hours just to check that the results were similar coming out from the A7 II and the D810 in similar situations.

This impression on the A7 II of mine may not seem much, but it's the most I can offer to Nikon shooters who are looking at the A7 II.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like my work, feel free to contact me on twitter: @Insignia_onhold

Or check out my portfolio at → http://insignia.lofter.com
——————————————————————————

Thank you, and happy shooting!

Yeah, the A7's are great cameras, but if it doesn't suit your workflow then you gotta go with what does. The D810 is an awesome camera so you have what suits you already. I kinda hope Sony listens to people like yourself and makes changes to the touch screen capability and changing AF point as well. It doesnt affect my flow as Im just a noob enthusiast anyway.

thx a lot for this review and for the photos! Great model!

FOr my part i own for now one a7r, the af is sometime an issue but for everything else it's a lovely piece of art. I m using the 55mm and i ve never did so many pics in my life!

I come from canon and nikon and the selection af button was really better on the d700. Cause i could straighly choose between af s and af c. But on the d800 u have only a switch between mf and af and u have to press the button to choose which af to use, so i m not sure it s really better.

I m really found of the ergonomy, i don't use anymore iso auto because it's so easy with the dial on the a7r.

But yes i d like a switch like the nikon camera but the same as the d700! Maybe it's different on the d810? 

Even this this i m not sure, cause if you put on the down button the af selection is damn fast and easy to change while u shoot!

I really dont understand why sony dont just reassign the moveable focus point to one button or directly to the scroll wheel as a user defineable option in a firmware update.

I completely agree with you. We should at least have an option to choose between using the scroll wheel as function buttons or as direction keys for moving AF points.

They have no excuse either, although the fe [e]mount is relatively new in ff format, they have been making [mirror etc] dslrs for long enough to know better what the seasoned photographer wants.

If they want to compete in more than just convenience of size they need to lift there game a bit too, with dynamic range and focus speed and a few other parameters.

Im still a happy shooter but am aware of the limitations.

It is also perplexing they can build a beaut 600$ 28/f2 but some other fe native lenses more then double the price have some iq questions?

i guess the system is maturing over time.

I completely agree with you. We should at least have an option to choose between using the scroll wheel as function buttons or as direction keys for moving AF points.

Why don't you set the center button (D-Pas Center) to Focus settings?  Immediately lets you move the AF point.    The Sony A7II is the most customizable camera I have ever owned, again...  Maybe I'm missing something, it's early and I had little sleep.

Why don't you set the center button (D-Pas Center) to Focus settings?  Immediately lets you move the AF point.    The Sony A7II is the most customizable camera I have ever owned, again...  Maybe I'm missing something, it's early and I had little sleep.

I could have. But again, this is yet another button to tap for me to change my AF point. On my Nikon body I could just hit the D-Pad and change my AF point to anywhere I want.

I could have. But again, this is yet another button to tap for me to change my AF point. On my Nikon body I could just hit the D-Pad and change my AF point to anywhere I want.

True, but at the same time the D-pad can be set for that as well, so you could have assigned the D-Pad itself.  Seems silly to me, but I do understand it takes time for muscle memory to learn.  Took me a few hours to finally find the front dial.

I can only second that it is quite a pita to move the focus point around. Theres one little help though: Learn to do it with the dials once you pushed that C2 button. This way at least you don't have to change your thumb placement. My thumb never rests on the click-wheel but rather on the MF/AF-C3 diagonale or thumb dial. Changing ISO directly with the wheel is quite cool, but moving the focus point most often has to be done quicker. It is this quick replacement of the thumb that annoys me. Plus it throws off the balance, losing some grip.

At least turning that wheel after pushing C2 will let you choose different focus areas, which then again is a cool feature (so you don't need to map that to another custom button).

How about a separate joystick with direct AF control? They could incorporate it where the MF/AF&AEL button is. Leave the switch but instead of a button place a clickable joystick.

Pfft^^^ hahaha. love it, sense of humour!!! :D

Thanks Golem too serious a perspective is not warranted i agree.

I know its not that hard you just have to reprogram yourself to press a button, but, sony should listen too though cos hey, were the ones buying and using the gear and any quantitative improvement in ergos or interactive functionality is a win win what say?

I find it easier and more flexible to manipulate focus points on the A7II than the Canon 5DIII and 7DII (not familiar with Nikon). If I am in AF-S/Flexible Spot I can just tap the Center button and use the Scroll Wheel to move the focus point anywhere I want. 

Even simpler is AF-C/Lock-On AF:Flexible Spot. I can just half-press the shutter button to lock focus on my subject (double green boxes) and then move the camera/composition while it continues to maintain focus on my subject. With this method there are no buttons or joystick needed. It is like focus and recompose but with the advantage of maintaining and updating the focus on your subject no matter where you place the subject in the frame. I find this easier and faster than trying to move the focus point manually ahead of time. If low lighting or a low-contrast subject prevents lock-on from working I can always manually move the Flexible Spot to where I want it by tapping the Center Button and Scroll Wheel. Works for me anyways.

I really dont understand why sony dont just reassign the moveable focus point to one button or directly to the scroll wheel as a user defineable option in a firmware update.

There are a few things like this they could have done in FW before now, which have consistently out me off moving to an A7* for my main cam. The other is multiple presses to get magnified focus and out of it, and, worse, on native lenses, that magnified focus doesn't return to full view the second you stop turning the focus ring.

I think face recognition and zone area AF is the best on the A7 for portraits. You don't have to recompose at all. And you even have eye AF ready.

On the A7II I also like to use zone AF in AF-C mode, so it always tracks the nearest subject, also works fine for portraits. Just don't expect it to focus on the eyes if you shoot close up with a fast aperture.

Yeah right haven't checked out the face recog nor zone area yet.

I will try those combos tomorrow and see what happens, been shooting some moving subjects here and there lately and a few portraits too.

All things considered i think its a pretty fine camera, my philosophy is theres always going to be some dysfunctional parameter that bends your workflow out of shape with any model camera and im just a passionate backyard hack anyway so i live with the limitations and adapt as required.

To Insignia_ChiAki

Is there a possibility you are just more used to the nikon colour and not the sony?

If you have been working with nikon for a longish time, you may have subconsciously adjusted to seeing, perceiving and possibly expecting the tonal qualities of the nikon colours in your images over time, i politely wonder?