Why is the LCD on my Sony A7riii giving "disabled" message?

Spunky8

Hello all:

I'm new to this forum but the LCD panel on my Sony a7riii says, "This function is currently disabled," when I press the custom button on the side of my GMaster lens?

This seems to happen when the camera is set to Face/Eye AF and the drive is set to "continuous."

When I press the custom button on the lens, the warning comes up and the screen blacks out.

Any guidance or suggestions would very much be appreciated.

Thanks.

Irving

Assuming you didn't change the functionality of the button: the default function is 'focus hold', meaning that if you're in continuous AF mode, the focus is locked at whatever distance it was at and it'll no longer change with half-pressing the shutter button. Apparently this function doesn't work together with face/eye AF, which kind of makes sense: if you're trying to focus on an eye, the distance is usually not constant (either you or the subject moves). Locking the focus position will cause the eye to go out of focus.

Thanks very much for your response.  However, I did change the functionality on the lens button from its default to Eye Autofocus.  And, often the eye autofocus using the button on the lens worked.  But many times it wouldn't work and the warning came up.  I'm trying to see if the warning occurs only when the leg screen is flipped out, which is when it most often occurs.  And,, someone else recommended that I try turning off touch AF, which I plan to do.