A7R3 native ISO: why 100 ISO for stills but 800 required for video?

Great A7R3 has a required video ISO of 800 as a minimum. But stills seem to have a base ISO of 100. So video seems to require at least three stops more light. 

Am I understanding this correctly? If so, why the sensitivity difference?

Thanks, Mike

• 6 months later...

Just found this post with no replies. I just discovered this same limitation myself but I don’t know the answer. My A9 allows me to go down to ISO100 for video so I don’t get it. Quick web searching seems to reveal no information about this at all which seems odd.

Edited by 2xbass

On 6/2/2018 at 4:42 PM, mwmccune said:

Great A7R3 has a required video ISO of 800 as a minimum.

This limitation doesn't exist, if the a7riii user manual can be trusted:

• When shooting movies, ISO values between ISO 100 and ISO 32000 are available. If the ISO value is set to a value larger than ISO 32000, the setting is automatically switched to ISO 32000. When you finish recording the movie, the ISO value returns to the original setting.

If you run into an ISO limitation regardless, maybe you have set an "Auto ISO range" limitation. See the "Hint" on this page for details.

Thanks for the suggestion but on the A7RIII if you try to set the ISO minimum in movie mode it won’t let you set it lower than ISO 800 whereas it does allow you to do in a stills mode. On the A9 you can set the ISO minimum down to ISO 100. Doesn't make sense.

I also don’t know why according to specs I’ve read, that the A9 can oversample 6K to 4K video in crop mode but the A7RIII can only do 5K to 4K. Doesn’t make sense to me when the A7RIII is supposed to have way more megapixels.

Edited by 2xbass

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• I just found your post as I was searching for an answer to the same question.  I realized that I can not set the external flash setup in my Sony A7CII when I attach any of my Godox and Insignia flashes.  They seem to work fine, other than the auto zoom being stuck at the widest focal length, but flash settings are greyed out in the menu. Did you ever figure out an answer for this?
    • So long story short, I'm at a crossroads and need to unload some gear. My main cam is a A7R3. I also lucked into a Fuji GFX100s a few years ago. Because of some upcoming things, I really need to sell some stuff. I could sell the old Pentax kit, but can't bring myself to. On the other end, I don't want to get rid of the Fuji either. What I'm thinking is sell both the Fuji kit and my A7R3, get an A7R5 and call it a day. I get a camera that really bridges most of the gaps between my current Sony & the Fuji's capabilities. Yeah I loose some stuff from the Fuji, but I'd also be slimming down to one lens ecosystem.  I'd keep the Pentax as there are things I specifically use it for. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger and go the R5 route & life with out the 102mp medium format. Thoughts or other options? My photography: mostly night photography, b&w and minitatures (yeah, Star Wars type stuff.) And landscapes, something bothe the Pentax & Fuji do really well with. If I got rid of the Fuji and upgrade fropm the R3, I pocket lots of needed cash and still have something that checks alot  of the boxes the Fuji does.
    • Are you using a genuine Sony, fully charged battery?  Do you have an A/C adapter?  Do you have a user manual -- these tell you have to deal with these types of problem -- like a complete reset.
  • Topics