New 100-400mm on A7R2, vignette?

I am getting odd vignetting when shooting aircraft with this new lens. Lighter in the center and it gets darker as you move outward. ]Just wondering if this is normal...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Jaf-Photo

To provide a raw file, you have to upload it to an image hosting site and provide the link.

In any case, visible vignetting is typical for this type of lens. It will be the most visible when shooting against an evenly lit and coloured background, such as sky or a white wall.

The vignetting should all but disappear if you apply a lens correction profile, either in camera or in your photo editing software. As the lens is new, I don't know if its available yet.

In your sample, I see compression artifacts, such as the bright circle in the center. But the basic level of vignetting is not alarming, if it is uncorrected. The shot is also a bit under-exposed so it looks extra murky. It will look a bit better just by bringing it up a bit.

Seems fine.

An automatic lens correction would fix it, or you can do that manually - there are many ways to do that, for instance increase the contrast 100%, making the vignetting more obvious, and then adjust the vignette/light-falloff to your satisfaction, before restoring the original contrast. I tried that with your file, worked OK.

IIRC the Sony A7r has a setting to apply Len corrections automatically. Since you are using an A7r2 perhaps you want to check the manual and see if you can find the setting?

I would think Sony would want to correct this? Seems to be a bit much.

Anyone else have this lens that can show me a comparison? Do you

get this same "halo" ?

Your sample photo appears quite typical and normal. What is 

your frame of reference ? If it's long focus lenses shot on film 

then you are accustomed to 100% even illumination. But if it's 

telephoto or zoom lenses, even on fllm you'd hardly do better 

than your posted sample above ... which is zoom on digital ... 

and I'm suspecting it's also the short end of the zoom as well.  

Also, Sony jpegs are funky. If I could duct tape your lens to a 

Nikon, and shoot jpegs, it would solve most of the issue. But 

if you work from a raw file, then you bypass the funk. 

If you insist on near perfection, you'll hafta avoid zooms and 

telephotos and adapt a true long focus optic ...which you will 

hafta focus manually cuz they're huge and cannot implement 

internal focus. No reason I can see for going that route. The 

photo you posted has only rather minor effects ... and again, 

it looks like the short end .... is it ? 

Also, all my lens setting are on automatic. I can't seem to correct it in PS CS5. Regardless, the adapted Canon 100-400L mk1 I used previously wasn't this bad, but couldn't auto focus worth a damn. Anyone else out there have this lens that can compare?

Guest Jaf-Photo

The vignetting was easy to correct even with manual sliders. The brighr circle in the center is different. I originally thought it was banding from the jpeg compression, but it's definitely in the file. Perhaps it's an internal reflection in the lens/camera, That happens on some FE combos. It could stem from the sungle bright object in the center of the frame. You could try to take similar shots with the plane off-center to see if it makes a difference. You could also send the jpeg to your local Sony support to see what they think.

Guest Jaf-Photo

The camera is probably not faulty per se. Internal reflections is a "feature" of the sensors in Sony's full frame mirrorless cameras. It was more prominent in the first generation of A7 cameras but Sony hasn't eliminated it altogether. The reflections only appear under some circumstances. You can find some articles and discussions about it by g00gling "Sony A7RII sensor reflection". 

Do drop Sony's support a line about it and see if they have some feedback.

Here is another photo but taken with my Canon 100-400L mk1 adapted. Same issue. So its not the new lens but maybe the camera itself? How odd... Glad I bought insurance! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm679gy0csjmg07/_DSC2452.ARW?dl=0