a7R ll and downloading with Play Memories

Firstly, let me say, I just love this camera, and although I am a bit of a digital neanderthal, I seem to be having difficulty working with images that are downloaded as Raw by Play Memories. My plan would be to work with those images through Photoshop Elements. Photoshop cannot identify that there are any images accessible and they just appear in Play Memories and it does not seem to allow any manipulation of them. I am clearly not doing something but I cannot work ot what I am not doing?

how old a version is elements? it could be your version of Adobe Camera Raw (that is built in to all versions of photoshop) cannot read the raw files from your camera.

have a look at adobe website for that version of the elements and see what image formats are supported.

playmemories is a disaster, terrible software in my opinion, but then it is only my opinion

adobe bridge? https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/bridge

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/best-pro-photo-editing-software-apps-for-mac-2017-3642413/

dont know i dont use mac

and i forgot highly recommend you try out Capture on for Sony , brilliant raw editor https://www.phaseone.com/en/Download-Sony.aspx

The download is a Capture One Express 10 (for Sony) and also includes a 30-day trial of Capture One Pro 10 (for Sony). 

After the trial you can continue using all Pro features by purchasing an upgrade to Capture One Pro 10 (for Sony).

Compatible with Mac OSX 10.11.6 or macOS 10.12.x

Thats why Sony dont supply a editor because of the tie on with capture one., its like Pentax and Silkypix same set up idea.

I am connecting my A7MII via wifi to my ipad directly and then transfer them to the ipad and thy show up in the photos app and can be imported to any adobe app like lightroom and photoshop express. If you need more details let me know and i tell you step by step.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

your welcome, we are a bit far apart to help more, remember that capture one, like adobe lightroom, is apparently a bulk editor which has limited adjustment tools. in the case of C! not so limited, but the bulk editing is the important feature, foe example you fix the white balance on one image select the next 200 and apply and they all get that adjustment applied, not something you can do in photoshop of  any version

Yes adwb, I notice you are in Bristol and I live in West Yorkshire? Are you suggesting that one needs to purchase software in order to download images? Are there not any programs available that are freely available with, say, Mac? I am a mere amateur not a pro that needs sophisticated software for pro purposes?

The capture 1 express is free, the full program you buy, the biggest diffence is gage full program gives the ability to do tethered shoots, if you don't need that, express will do nicely .

The main problem I have with most downloaders is that they want to do it the way they want to do it. The go around I created with Playmemories - works with both PC and Mac - is that I set Playmemories up to always download to the 1-Sony folder I created ("1" assures very first folder in Pictures on a PC) where it then creates the default dated subfolder within 1-Sony. From there I create a folder (or sub-folder in an existing folder) for the ultimate destination that reflects MY organization and cut/paste all from the 1-Sony location to the desired location. While most is on a PC, I travel with a MacBook Pro and while the concept is the same, practice is a little different. I keep away from Apple Photos like the plague and in addition to the 1-Sony folder, create a "Photos" (Video, Documents, etc) folders to mimic the PC's organization and considering the 1- trick to keep them up top in Finder. The other major difference is there is not 'cut' command when clicking on a file, just "move" applespeak for 'copy'. To cut, you have to use the keyboard "Command-X" (same as Ctrl-X on PC) and for convenience Command-V (Ctrl-V) for paste, although 'paste' is a menu item.