FE 50mm F1.8 lense and weather sealed factor?

jm2004

Hi,

I've searched around but haven't been able to find the answer, so hope somebody can assist.

In short I'm interested in that Sony 50mm F1.8 lens (http://www.sony.com.au/electronics/camera-lenses/sel50f18f)  and have read various reviews, I'm OK with its the pluses and minuses (for the price), but am concerned I believe it's not weather sealed. The spec. on Sony's website doesn't seem to tell much.

Is that going to be problem considering I do go out to rather dusty locations from time to time (incl. farmlands, dirt tracks)?

Thanks in advance and regards.

i don´t know if the FE 50mm 1.8 is weather sealed.

i tested the lens and found the IQ quite good to very good but the AF is a pain.

so there are some very good and cheap MF lenses out there you could try, if they break down ......no problem, you could  buy a new used lens.

If you pay 30$/€ lens + 10$/€ adapter, for example for a Olympus OM 50mm 1.8 or Minolta MC Rokkor 55mm 1.7 or Yashica ML 50mm 1.8 or Mamiya 55mm 1.8

you can buy 9  lenses for the price you pay for the FE

Hi Gilgenberg, thanks for being the only one replying.

Please excuse me for my ignorance (I'm quite new in photography):

- But do you mean there are adapters and other lenses which are better in weather sealing?

- And can they support AF?

I did read the lens mentioned above and understood that is is quite good (image wise) but the AF is slow and noisy.

Regards.

so as AF is so bad from the FE50 , i would try Manual focus...... they do not support AF

no...... the wether sealing thing is not solved with old lenses, but if they fail you could buy a new used one without loosing much money

if you need AF you should go for the sonnar FE55....... it is such a great lens, but has no wether sealing

if the need for wether sealing is your most concern go with the Zeiss Loxia, it is MF but has wether sealing and MF is very easy with this lens

and IMOH faster as AF and more precise 

I have always thought of weather sealing (usually just a rubber gasket) as being of benefit if the camera/lens is exposed to rain, mist, water spray etc and not dust.  I suspect under the right weather conditions you could use the 50mm lens without concern for the venue dust/dirt condition unless you are in the middle of a construction site or sand storm.