A7R and Aperture software

Hi guys,

I have been using the Aperture software for post processing and storage of my pictures and, now that I got an A7R, I was wondering if I must change to Capture One or LR for some reason.

Aperture worked very well for all those years, but now, will my RAW be missing out on something if opened in Aperture? I am running Sierra right now.

Thanks for your time,

-seid

You will be missing Sony specific features, e.g. lens correction for RAW if you avoid Capture One.

I presume that you know that you are entitles to the free version of Capture One for Sony... Download link is from your Sony product support page for your product.

There is a low cost upgrade to the Capture One Pro for Sony version.

Gerry

Aperture is still running fine under Sierra. The camera RAW support is located in the system component RawCamera.bundle, not in Aperture itself. Even when new cameras come out, Aperture can read the RAW files as long as RawCamera gets updated when Apple has embedded the camera in a new version of RawCamera.

I can recommend Capture One also which is now my main post processing software.

Klaus

I still like Aperture better than anything else available.  

I have, sadly, moved onto C1 Pro (paid version).  The free version that comes with Sony purchase is so incomplete that its not really viable for my needs.

As noted above, all raw file conversion in Aperture, Photos are done at OS level so you're not missing anything from that perspective.  Aperture is, unfortunately, frozen in time from couple of years ago....

I have, sadly, moved onto C1 Pro (paid version).  The free version that comes with Sony purchase is so incomplete that its not really viable for my needs.

I think C1 has three versions of interest to Sony users:

1. Free with restrictions.

2. Super low price but with one single restriction: works only with Sony files

3. Unrestricted

I have #2 and all my other post processing programs (Photoshop, Lightroom just to name two) remain on my computer but never get used.

Hi guys.

I indeed gave C1Pro Full a try since it's free for 30 days and I understand that, as a Sony customer, you actually get quite a deal. However, and even if the RAW engine looks pretty good, I could not really identify major reasons why I should change. I acknowledge that lens correction can be one, but I can't say that this is a problem for both my lens so far (Batis 25/2 and FE 90/2.8 Macro G).

I appreciate and value your input and will keep playing with C1Pro.

Regards,

-seid 

Working with layers, local adjustments, masking, automatic CA removal, tethered shooting comes to mind, just to name a few where C1 is superior to Aperture. On the other hand, I really miss my Aperture plug-ins, such as BorderFX or Silver Efex. Coming from Aperture, it really takes a while before you like C1.

Klaus