Does the Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM support phase detection AF on the a7R II?

Packafoma

I recently purchased an a7R II along with a Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM lens (SEL2470GM). I bought the lens on eBay. It was listed as manufacturer refurbished and does appear to be genuine and in excellent condition.

Both the camera and lens are working great for the most part. However, I was surprised to discover that the lens is not capable of phase detection autofocus.

I have updated the camera firmware to ver 3.30. I cannot find any firmware updates for the lens, which is running ver 01.

When using AF-C, the lens hunts for focus continuously with rapid, jittery movements. It takes a long time to get a lock even if the aperture is wide open and the subject is brightly lit and not moving. Meanwhile, AF-S works beautifully.

In the settings, Phase Detect. Area and AF System are grayed out along with a message that says “Invalid with this lens.”

Along with plenty of Googling, I have scoured Sony's website and B&H for some mention of phase detection in their descriptions of this or any Sony FE lens. It does not seem to be a spec that they ever list. Yet, I believe at least some lenses are compatible with PD. I found one post on this site that indicated that the Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 (SEL50F18F) works with PD. And I saw a post about a lower-end zoom that supposedly works.

So I have a few questions:
  1. As in the title: Does the Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM support phase detection AF on the a7R II? I would be surprised that a native lens from their premium GM line would not, and some posts have indicated that all Sony native lenses should be PD capable. I know that A-mount lenses can even use PD with an adaptor.
  2. If some Sony native E-mount lenses are not compatible with phase detection, which ones are? I can't find a list anywhere, and like I said, there is never any mention of it in the specs.
  3. If you have a FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM, what firmware version does it have?
Thanks!

I guess no one who is active in the Sony Alpha Forum owns a Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM lens.  <_< My question really pertains to all Sony E-Mount lenses though.

Here is the end of a chat I had with a Sony support tech. The news was disappointing. I still find it hard to believe that Sony’s native lenses lack a hybrid focus capability that works with A-Mount and even Canon EF.

I’m coming from Canon and Panasonic cameras. So if I’m missing something, please let me know!

Screen Shot 2016 09 27 At 10.20.59 PM

A lack of response is due to a non-seqyitor being considerably

difficult to address. Only difficult, or tricky, but not impossible

..... so, OK, I'll bite: 

Lenses do not support or fail to support CD or PD versions of AF.

Lenses take orders from the camera body. The body tells the AF

motor to go ahead or go back, how fast etc etc. How the camera

body "decides" which commands to issue to the lens is none of

the lens's bidnez. Lens get commands, lens obeys. Body makes

"decisions" based on whatever detection systems that particular

model of body has onboard. It doesn't negotiate with the lens or

conference with it. It just tells the lens "Do this, right NOW".

IOW, had you asked whether a certain tripod supported CD AF

you'd find no one has much of an answer to that, or whether that

tripod supports "i-TTL-HS- wireless fill-in flash" .... same problem. 

That dog won't hunt.

And acoarst the Sony documentation, and marketing material,

doesn't mention anything neither ... cuz no one is ever spozed to

ask any non-sequitors :-)

"When using AF-C, the lens hunts for focus continuously
with rapid,jittery movements. It takes a long time to get a
lock even if the ........

Meanwhile, AF-S works beautifully."

That is all well and good. Of course AF-C "takes a long time to
get a lock" while AF-S "works beautifully". A "long time" ? How
about more like "never" ? "C" means continuous. "Continuous"
isn't continuous if it locks on, right ? So acoarst "S" does lock
on, cuz "S" means "single" ... one single final decision about
what to focus on, and then stay put [lock on].   

If you correctly quoted the error message, then I would hafta 
call that message poorly worded. “Invalid with this lens.”
I do see how someone may then think the lens is an issue here. 
Please double check all choices that lead up to that message,
cuz it just makes no sense at all.

Sorry, read this thread a couple times but didn't know how to answer.

It just made absolutely no sense whatsoever. When I saw that Sony support chat screenshot, well... 'WTF' was all I was thinking.

No offense, thanks for clearing things up... :)

• 5 weeks later...

I shoot regularly with my 24-70GM on an A7RII.  I've never received an error or incompatibility message of any kind in AFC or AFS. I will say, however, that performance in AFC has been inconsistent. Spot on usually in AFC with some hunting from time to time and the occasional miss.  Most of my work is portraiture so lately I've avoided issues by shooting in AFS and a medium focus square.  I lock focus (back button) and recompose for the shot.  This works most consistently for me.  I have found, unfortunately, that despite all the modern mirrorless focusing options, the old school way of doing things remains the most reliable. In anything except outdoor relatively bright light my camera is finicky and a downright unreliable PIA in the focus category.  Almost enough to send my back over the side toward DSLR.

I had some relief using face detect with occasional eye autofocus on one shoot only to find that the next time around (after my most recent firmware update) face detection has become unreliable in both AFS and AFC modes with wide area focus set as recommended.  I'm usually in a small indoor studio with only one window for ambient light and no modeling lamps. Although I'm generally able to work around and get the job done I think that for for a $5K rig this is just ridiculous. I feel like a beta tester, who knows what the next update will bring...