World's dirtiest sensor

I switched to the Sony a7rii last fall. Always been Nikon. 35 years in the game, still shooting portraits, weddings, commercial as my main source of income. I switched also because of the glass....Batis 85 portrait lens....and the 16-35 and the 55...all really nice glass.
Now, when I shoot a wedding, like with the Nikons, I change lenses all day.
But I never, ever had problems like I have now with keeping the sensor clean.
Already used up several boxes of swabs. I contacted Sony about this. the guys says use a blower bush.
Yea, right....I wish. I didn't bother with him anymore. the problem is the curtain is wide open when the lens comes up. All they need to do is have  away to close it while switching.
And the sensor is so so close...Anywho

Before you ask:
* I do turn the cam off everytime
* I'm very careful when switching lenses. not my first rodeo
* I only use Sony recommended swabs and the liquid that comes with it.
* I'm very careful when cleaning the sensor

This is driving me nuts. I'm seriously considering selling it all and going back to Nikon

Any thoughts? Check out the paper backdrop I shot today, AFTER I cleaned the sensor. Loaded it into PS and ran the autocontrast filter....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Seeing all these lines going in all directions and reading that you have already used several boxes of swabs, I can only say that normal sensor cleaning has nothing to do with "rodeo". Too much and too little can ruin anything.Read the manual that comes with the swabs.

Or is this a troll?

Your image looks like it came from a brochure of an in vitro clinic. 

Seriously, I'd steer clear of any of those kits.  You can really screw up your sensor.  Just take it to a trusted camera repair shop and have them professionally clean it. Or, as I did, join Sony Imaging Pro Support and get 3 cleanings per year as part of the membership. 

But your sensor is really super dirty.  Extra sensor dirt is a fact of life for mirrorless.  I use mine in pretty adverse conditions too, but they're not that bad. Whatever you're doing, if it's getting that dirty, maybe mirrorless is not for you. 

I bought a bottle of Eclipse and a bag of wipes. Then I found some old 'club member' card (looks like a credit card) and cut it with one side being the size of the sensors height, and the other side being a little less than the height of the card (~3cm). I also cut the corners just so that there's no plastic there to scratch the sensor (very small cuts - a millimeter or so).

Wrap a wipe around the plastic rectangle (cut out of the members card) and be sure that there are at least two layers of the wipe at the end with which you'll touch the sensor.

Put a drop or two of Eclipse on the wipe. Put this home made swab on the sensor, wipe once, pressing the sensor firmly, but not maniacally. Change the side of the swab (to the one that is still clean) and wipe the second time. Do this two or three times with the clean part of the wipe.

Most of the spots will go away, although some will stay, and the scratches will definitively stay.

I'm an amateur and I'm doing this cleaning 2-3 times a year.

Here's my before/after

My preferred method is to give it a good going over with a rocket blower first and follow it up with an Arctic Butterfly if that doesn't do the trick. If there's any stubborn marks, I break out the Lenspen Sensorklear.

Also remember to check the rear element of your lenses, as debris there can also show up in sensor cleaning photos.

I do think you need to look at your technique though, as the picture looks pretty shocking. Try changing lenses in a large freezer bag to cut down on debris and possibly pick up a second body if you're changing lenses that often for pro work (the original a7 is a bargain now).

Seems odd you're only shooting with one body. First and foremost I'd get a second body to reduce lens changes, but I can't imagine any wedding shooter using just one body.

There are numerous sensor cleaning threads on Dpreview and a really good one on Fred Miranda.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1432071/0?keyword=Sensor,cleaning#13574349

I too have had trouble with a dirty sensor.  I feel this is the way of life with mirrorless...at least if you use more than one lens.  As an amateur/hobbyist, I do a "wet" cleaning at least every other month.

Here is what I use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1190623-REG/photographic_solutions_aeroclipse_digital_sensor_cleaning.html

and,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1190623-REG/photographic_solutions_aeroclipse_digital_sensor_cleaning.html

And you need to be careful to NOT get too much cleaning fluid on the swab.  Use only three drops...otherwise you will get a streak on the sensor.

Here is a great video from the manufacturer:

http://photosol.com/products/sensor-swab-ultra/

If I change a lens in the field and it is raining any at all, two or even three cleanings are necessary to get all the spots off.  Maybe my technique needs improvement, but that is my experience.

Guest Peter Kelly

First my advice as to general behaviour:

Always I would recommend an Arctic Butterfly brush first (I'm not a fan of blowers as they just move dust around and there's no control where it goes).

As with all cleaning, the trick is to be careful, precise, and never pass over repeatedly. Clean the brush by re-spinning after each motion.

If there are stubborn spots and a wet clean is needed, do not use too much fluid, but press firmly so that the swab handle bends. Only pass once before disposing of the swab.

Doing this should keep a sensor nice and clear.

As to this particular 'mess', I am a little concerned. There is so much debris that if any of it is gritty in nature you might find it impossible to now remove without damage. I fear that some of the lines may already be scratches.

However, if you are lucky then following my earlier advice should work. Of course, it might take several treatments and a considerable number of swabs to fully clean the sensor.

If you do feel that a successful result is beyond you (no shame in admitting it if you're not the practical type), then a professional clean is the way to go.

Nobody else has this problem.

So nobody else has the solution.  

The solution you've mentioned is to stick with SLRs,

which would clearly be a good option here. Looking

at that image, and even realizing that it's enhanced

to show the problem extra prominently, it looks like

abuse or gross carelessness. The linear marks are

not anything that happens to sensors just from their  

exposure to the environment during lens changes.

I toadally agree about how ridiculous it is that Sony

shutters are open during lens change. If the shutter

simply closed when the power turns off that would

be a big help, to everyone. Not everyone has a big

mess like the one you've got, but most users object

to even one or two visible dust bugs. I know I do. I

experimented to find a convenient way to keep the

shutter closed for lenses changes ... no such luck. 

HOWEVER .... in your case, closing the shutter is

only a partial solution. When that much dirt enters

and lands on the shutter, some visible amount of it

is going to sweep itself off during shutter activation

and land on the sensor. Less than half as dirty as

what we see in the sample image is still waaay too

dirty, by anyone's standards.   

`

.......................................................................  If you do feel that a successful

result is beyond you (no shame in admitting it if you're not the practical type),

then a professional clean is the way to go. 

While all your generalized advice is spot on [OK, pun intended .... ],

I heartily disagree in this individual case. The obvious solution here

is getting rid of the camera and not replacing it with anything similar.

This case borders on the absurd. Looking at the broader context, an

extreme solution here is not too extreme. I cannot see this as simply

a question of how to clean one remarkably grungy sensor. 

Thanks...some points:

• not a troll
  • second $body$ was in the plan....start with one, use my D800 as backup, make the transition
  • the swabs are recommended and expensive
  • having to keep the lens on the body and never removing it for fear of dirt is ludicrous sounding to me (shooting digital since 2001, canon d30, then Nikon in 2002, very high volume....never had this issue, not even close, in the past)
  • pro cleaning, which has it's place, is impractical in a sense, since this will rear up again and again
  • been using; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/435203-REG/Visible_Dust_2863171_Swabs_for_1_5_1_6x_Sensor.html

If the curtain would close while lens changing, this would solve the problem IMO....mostly anywho.

I talked with someone at Sony and they concurred that this was an issue and he's bring it up for future model development.

I may send it in and get it cleaned, put a lens on it, never take it off. Or sell it all....3 lenses and body...16-35, 85 1.8 batis and 55mm zeiss... Buy a Nikon 810 and use it....yes, back to nikon. Seriously considering.

Never saw this coming, would not have made the switch otherwise had I known...
(I researched the sony a7rii and lenses for months before making the move last summer.)

The manager at Henry's ordered me some expensive, but higher end brushes. Wait and see on that.

thanks

Rob

o.k. i had the same problem with my A7S

and i found a solution for my A7S

the surface from the A7S sensor is very rough so a dirt film and smearing will be there after wet cleaning

i used different wet cleaners like isopropanol, white gas for cleaning purpose, eclipse and than aeroclipse but alsways the same

isopropanol and gas have residues and eclipse and aeroclipse have smearing

so wet cleaning do not work 

best solution for me is blower + jelly cleaner + Q tips

Rob,

I hope your new cleaning method will works better for you (obviously the previous method isn't working!).  

As a prime lens shooter, I am often changing lenses (especially if I am covering an event); even though I live in a dusty desert I have never seen my sensor look anything like that! 

When I do get dust on the sensor, I use this method (YMMV): 1. use the "Cleaning Mode" (rarely effective). 2. Rocket blower (not canned air) 3. LensPen SensorKlear II for the persistent spots that don't come off otherwise.  1. and 2. are done with the camera pointed at the ground.

Hope you get it all sorted out.  

Rob,

I hope your new cleaning method will works better for you (obviously the previous method isn't working!).  

As a prime lens shooter, I am often changing lenses (especially if I am covering an event); even though I live in a dusty desert I have never seen my sensor look anything like that! 

When I do get dust on the sensor, I use this method (YMMV): 1. use the "Cleaning Mode" (rarely effective). 2. Rocket blower (not canned air) 3. LensPen SensorKlear II for the persistent spots that don't come off otherwise.  1. and 2. are done with the camera pointed at the ground.

Hope you get it all sorted out.  

Thanks....good to hear. I think it may be mys sensor cleaner. i gave it another clean today and it seems much better.  I use Cleaning mode when I swab the sensor. It holds the sensor steady. im getting that rocket blower and pen......thanks

Guest Peter Kelly

I use Cleaning mode when I swab the sensor. It holds the sensor steady.

I may be wrong, but that's not my understanding. I thought the cleaning mode only operated a vigorous shake, using the SSS motors.

Just for reference, I use my cameras in a full time professional capacity and the sensors are like this (please forgive the wallpaper...):

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmXO_E67T2jHoCVjTxHX_5dzCTyx

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmXO_E67T2jHoCTySqgYGLXAooIE

(please forgive the wallpaper...):

Try to shoot the sky. Without clouds, after all it is summer now. Use f/16 and you will see the sensor spots clearly.

shooting a white paper, some detail, and running it in autocontrast in PS does just that....and more...

I may be wrong, but that's not my understanding. I thought the cleaning mode only operated a vigorous shake, using the SSS motors.

Just for reference, I use my cameras in a full time professional capacity and the sensors are like this (please forgive the wallpaper...):

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmXO_E67T2jHoCVjTxHX_5dzCTyx

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmXO_E67T2jHoCTySqgYGLXAooIE

You're right. But I don't use the cleaning mode in the camera to actually clean the sensor, i use it to hold the sensor in place while i swab it. Fire the clean mode, don't turn the cam off, but take lens off, clean, and the sensor is locked into place until you re start the cam...R

First my advice as to general behaviour:

Always I would recommend an Arctic Butterfly brush first (I'm not a fan of blowers as they just move dust around and there's no control where it goes).

As with all cleaning, the trick is to be careful, precise, and never pass over repeatedly. Clean the brush by re-spinning after each motion.

If there are stubborn spots and a wet clean is needed, do not use too much fluid, but press firmly so that the swab handle bends. Only pass once before disposing of the swab.

Doing this should keep a sensor nice and clear.

As to this particular 'mess', I am a little concerned. There is so much debris that if any of it is gritty in nature you might find it impossible to now remove without damage. I fear that some of the lines may already be scratches.

However, if you are lucky then following my earlier advice should work. Of course, it might take several treatments and a considerable number of swabs to fully clean the sensor.

If you do feel that a successful result is beyond you (no shame in admitting it if you're not the practical type), then a professional clean is the way to go.

The bit in red above is what has been worrying me...That was fine with my DSLRs  however I think possibly the OP But certainly I have a problem doing this on my A7R2 due to IBIS and the floating sensor.

I have avoided wet cleaning this camera with the sensor locked as some have recommended by entering the Cleaning Mode and leaving the camera powered on.

I have found this body to be even worse than my first FF DSLR the Canon 5D classic, which was also a dust magnet for me.

Has anyone with an IBIS sensor been doing wet cleans with the camera powered on? Though just read that the OP does!

This floating sensor is IMO very difficult to wet clean

Thanks....good to hear. I think it may be mys sensor cleaner. i gave it another clean today and it seems much better.  I use Cleaning mode when I swab the sensor. It holds the sensor steady. im getting that rocket blower and pen......thanks

I've been using using The Dust Patrol liquid and swabs what have you been using?

I found after wet cleaning my A7R2 there was obvious blobs of dried cleaner (yours looks the same in many places and possibly the accumulation of many cleans).

I'm blaming the IBIS as I haven't dared to clean with the power on and don't put pressure on the swab either..

However I'm also starting to think it may also be a problem with The Dust Patrol liquid not evaporating quickly enough?

I always used Eclipse with my Canon DSLRs and nearly bought a fresh lot but saw the warning on Photo Solutions site before I saw the Aero Eclipse replacement product so went with this other liquid.

Anyone have an opinion on wet cleans with The Dust Patrol liquid please?

I have work in manufacturing for over 25 years (Film products) we have used dozens of types of PTR's (Particle Transfer Rollers) These are silicon based soft rubber rollers that clean the conveying web or another roller. They vary in tackiness depending on needs. I have also been using this method on my sensors. Early on I simply used a small Lens pen followed by a post it note or Scotch tape (The adhesive on these are no or low transfer) This always worked well. I have since converted to the Sensor Pen and both of the PTM (Particle Transfer Media) cleaners now available. I rarely have to clean my sensors twice. See attached videos for info on both PTM units (By the way some of the film I have manufactured has been highly sensitive, much more sensitive then any camera sensor and the only issues with PTR's were speed match of web to roll surface speed and a dirt loaded PTR)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRW9AmDPqr0

https://fstoppers.com/gear/how-clean-dust-your-dslr-sensor-sensor-gel-stick-8226

Here is a YouTube video showing how to wet clean the sensor of the A7II:

Jump to 14:28 to go to the wet clean section.  He recommends selecting the sensor clean function through the menu because this locks the sensor in place but doesn't turn it on for imaging.

@robprov, I've seen much dirtier sensors, and they all cleaned up perfectly with wet cleaning. I use Visible Dust for the most dirty sensors and the Gel Stick for the normal cleaning. The Sensor Clean liquid is good for all but the worst spots. If this doesn't work, I use the Smear Away liquid, but then I follow it up with a pass using the Sensor Clean to get rid of any residual streaking.