Sensor cleaning question

I'm pretty new to Sony. Recently picked up an A7rII.

After cleaning the sensor I see no dust remaining with a high-power light close up.

But when I shoot the sky to find artifacts I see about a half-dozen shadows.

They're soft shadows. But I've cleaned the lens and shot the sky with two lenses to eliminate that as the problem.

Anyone else so frustrated? Any cleaning techniques that might be helpful? (I'm using a full-frame swab.)

Sorry about that.  Two pics attached. f/18 (iirc) and f/5.6.

Also, shot at f/18 with the 50mm just to be certain that they weren't lens dust. Spots were in the same location.

At f/5.6 the spots disappeared. Might they be sensor artifacts instead of dust shadows?

**** Never had this issue with film. 😉

I cleaned the sensor b/c the camera is new to me and I wanted to begin with a best case situation. Those spots show up at f/11, though less prominently. Blew the dust out of the back of my lenses, too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks, but I don't see any  dust.  How did you know how to clean the sensor?  I've heard a lot of people messing things up. 

Do you have a SONY manual and did you follow the instructions?

I'd advise doing a search on this FORUM for "sensor cleaning".  It might point you in the correct direction.

I followed what instructions I could find online, using the DES 24mm swab. But I did this after blowing it out and using the internal cleaning system and before re-checking with the lens on.

The pics are obviously reduced. The bottom pic has some markings in black around question able spots.

I'm not going to do anything else now as a shot at f/5.6 shows nothing. From what I gather this is not untypical. But I could be wrong.

• 3 months later...

Dust spots typically show at small apertures. If you want to really see dust spots, make an exposure using a pinhole. The pinhole exposure showed spots that were invisible at f/16 on my Sony.

With the loss of image quality in uploading a sample image, it might be best in the future if you cropped the images so that each spot in question takes up about 25% of the image so we get a good look at the spot without lots of JPEG artifact.