Super wide angle recommendation for Sony A7 MkII

I am preparing for a two week tour including Amsterdam, Rhine River, and Paris for next spring.  I am happy with my current lineup of Sony gear, but need some advice from the forum.

I currently own the Batis 25mm and use it a lot in landscape shots.  I love this lens but wonder if I should get a wider lens in the 15 to 18 mm range.  I have seen some good reviews for the new Batis 18mm but it is expensive.  

I have also seen many good review for the Voigtlander 15mm f4.5. M mount adapted to Sony A7.  I was excited to see that it will soon be available in E mount:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1219549-REG/voigtlander_ba329b_super_wide_heliar_15mm_f_4_5.html

I know there are also good recommendations for the Rokinon 14mm f2.8.  This is an interesting option but is twice the weight.  That extra weight may be a bridge too far.

And lastly I'm considering the Sony 16-35 f4.  This looks to be a mixed bag with some complaining about bad copies from factory.  Also, it is more expensive.  But the focal length and zoom capabilities are compelling.

At this point I'm leaning towards the Viogtlander 15mm due to cost, weight, image quality, and reputation.  I would appreciate some opinions from the Forum members.  Comments please (the good, the bad, the ugly).  What am I missing?

I read your whole post twice. I think you

really WANT the Voightlander 15 and as

it's one of the more affordable and most

compact options, just buy it.

You really need to buy something soon.

You've got 6 months to go, but since the

first purchase could have some hidden

disagreeable trait that sends you looking

for a lens all over again, you hafta leave

time for that to happen. 

So buy the Voightlander 15 yesterday :-) 

If it's a mistake you got 6 months to buy

something else, but you won't have that

6 months if you delay ... so get started !

And lastly I'm considering the Sony 16-35 f4.  This looks to be a mixed bag with some complaining about bad copies from factory.  Also, it is more expensive.  But the focal length and zoom capabilities are compelling.

And it has got Steady Shot, just in case your camera hasn't got IBIS

I have had the Voigtländer 15mm, the Leica 21mm ASPH and the Zuiko 21mm. I have the 16-35mm f/4; beats them all but is large and heavy (the Leica wasn't lightweight either, but smaller.)

Your wonderful Zeiss 2.0/25 mm Batis has an angle of 82°. The Voigtlander 4.5/15 mm Super Wide Heliar other hand has an angle of 110°. I would recommend for your trip the Voigtlander 5.6/12 mm Ultra Wide Heliar. It has an angle of 121°. The distance to the 25er Batis is thus crucial bigger!

The disadvantage of only manual focusing Voigtlander-WW is to neglect. At f 11 by "infinity" everything is in focus anyway.

I would be in any case a Voigtlander WW preference over a lens of Rokinon or Samyang!

One thing to consider is if you become a wide angle junkie ... which can happen quite unexpectedly as I recently discovered with a Loxia 21mm. Then the Batis is not so expensive anymore, given its performance and low weight. And its wonderful just like the 25.

I have a new Batis 18 sitting on the shelf, there was one available, might as well    :D   

... since once you make your mind up you quickly find that these kinds of lenses are still not always in stock.

I was not happy with the Voitlander 15mm so I returned it.  The magenta color in the corner problem has been fixed from earlier version, but even in the native E mount version the corners are not as sharp as the other lenses you are looking at.  I think it comes down to whether you value the versatility of the 16-35mm f/4 vs the high IQ you will get from the Loxia 21mm or the Batis 18mm.  I have all three of these lenses and my last three trips I have left the 16-35mm on the shelf.

Thanks to all for the feed-back and suggestions.  There are, of course, no perfect solutions in life.  DUH!!!  Every choice has a good side and a bad side.  It seem that all super wide lenses have some problems in the corners...just a case of how bad a particular lens is versus another lens.  Most reviews say the worst of the problem can be corrected in LR.

So I'm thinking at this point the Batis 18 may be the better choice.  The Viogtlander 15 still looks to be a possibility especially at almost half the cost.  And the Batis is larger, but you would expect that with the difference in f-stop.  Having a little speed is always a plus in a lens.  And according to the Photo Buddy app on my phone, at 18mm focal length and f3.2 the depth of field is 78 inches (2M) to infinity.  And the angle of view goes from 99 at 18mm to 110 at 15mm.

With these choices, a bad decision is impossible.  The choice will be good or better; or a moderate cost versus high cost.

I sold my F4 16-35 and purchased the Batis 18 and have not looked back. For me there is no comparison in picture quality. the lens is beautiful. You get what you pay for. If you buy second best you may be unhappy later and it will cost you more to change.

Good luck Jerry

Steve,

Keeping the batis 25mm or not? I think you the only person can answer that question best :)

For me, replace that that batis 25mm with 2470GM make a lot sense.

Imagine these lenses in your bag:

1. Batis 18mm

2. 2470gm

3. 70200gm

Potrait lens

4. 85gm or batis 85

5. Macro 90mm

If I travel tomorrow,2470gm and 70200gm plus 18mm.

Steve,

Keeping the batis 25mm or not? I think you the only person can answer that question best :)

For me, replace that that batis 25mm with 2470GM make a lot sense.

Imagine these lenses in your bag:

1. Batis 18mm

2. 2470gm

3. 70200gm

Potrait lens

4. 85gm or batis 85

5. Macro 90mm

If I travel tomorrow,2470gm and 70200gm plus 18mm.

That would be a pretty awesome kit of lenses!!!!  I used to own the Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II.  It was expensive at $2000 new but what a lens!  But now I use mostly primes to keep the weight down.  And I have enjoyed the challenge of zooming with your feet.  I can see advantages to the 24-70 f2.8 if you do a lot of events like weddings.  But that is not me.  

I'm definitely leaning toward the 18mm Batis.  At this point I think I'll wait until the Voigtlander 15mm E-mount is released and reviewed.  I really would like to see a head to head review of the Batis 18 VS the Voigtlander 15.  I have seen numerous very good reviews for the Batis 18mm.

That would be a pretty awesome kit of lenses!!!!  I used to own the Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II.  It was expensive at $2000 new but what a lens!  But now I use mostly primes to keep the weight down.  And I have enjoyed the challenge of zooming with your feet.  I can see advantages to the 24-70 f2.8 if you do a lot of events like weddings.  But that is not me.  

I'm definitely leaning toward the 18mm Batis.  At this point I think I'll wait until the Voigtlander 15mm E-mount is released and reviewed.  I really would like to see a head to head review of the Batis 18 VS the Voigtlander 15.  I have seen numerous very good reviews for the Batis 18mm.

You made great points about the zoom and I agree with you about shooting primes Steve. For me, the 2470GM & 70200GM play great role in my everyday family photos. As you mentioned about primes, my FE35f1.4 and 85GM are very special lenses. Both give bring out the shallow depth of field of FF.

Prior to my 2470GM and 85GM, I had owned both Batis 25/85 and I'm very well aware what batis can do. I highly doubt you can go wrong with Batis 18mm.

Best wishes in your decision making. Look forward to see your trip photos.

Dylan

• 3 months later...

By chance I found this topic and perhaps I might be somehow late.

Anyhow I would like to raise the alternative of the Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8, that, quite strangely is not so much advertised.

I use this lens since last April and it came out to be my preferred on my A7II.

Certainly for architecture it shows clear distortion, but for street photography and landscape it works perfectly for me and there is no problem in cropping photos.

Someone can argue that it is a slow lens with only f/2,8 aperture: how many times do you really shot at this aperture ? 

When I might need a faster lens I take out the Sony 55mm f/1.8 which is also a great lens.

Others might find the lack of auto-focus a minus point: at f/5.6 you have already really good DOF, then going at f/8.0 it becomes really great.

if you wish you can see by yourself my humble shots on 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/svendrs/