Best OSS lens? wide angle to mid range.

OldNoob

For middle zoom APS-C I'd say the Tamron 17-70 f/2.8. For wide angle, there aren't any good new stabilized APS-C lenses. If you really need optical stabilization, I guess your best bet would be the Sony 10-18 F/4, but that one is pretty dated.

Are there ANY prime wide angle lenses with stabilisation? I'd question the need for it, to be honest.

Consider a 16mm lens. A 16mm lens should be hand-holdable at 1/16. Going up whole stops to 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1 second for 4 stops, 2 seconds for 5 stops (the rating for Sony IBIS before the A7RV), 4 seconds for 6 stops, 8 seconds for 7 stops, and 16 seconds for 8 stops (the rating for the A7RV).

I'd be more concerned about the subject moving than the IBIS not providing enough stabilisation. Or falling asleep during the exposure 🙂 

It's not like a 400mm lens where the IBIS doesn't cope with the tiny movements that are enough to make the image unbearably blurry.

For my taste, lens stabilisation becomes important at around 200mm. 

I won't be at all offended if you disagree. I've seen a lot of people demanding stabilisation in short zooms, even though I do wonder why.

My experience is that stabilisation benefits claimed by manufacturers are to be taken with a grain of salt, as the overall result is very much depending on the situation (focal lenght, shutter speed compared to the 1/focal lenght ratio and personal style of holding the camera). I actually turn stabilisation off if I don't need it, as I have observed that it tends to reduce sharpness in the corners.

I can speak for OSS, as I don't have a Sony camera with ISS.

Stabilisation comes at the price of some lens misalignment, as lens elements are moved from their "ideal" position to compensate movement. Of course, the goal of the system is to preserve sharpness in the center of the picture.

Out of curiosity, in the past I did some trials by shooting the same scene with exactly the same exposure settings, only difference was camera on a tripod and stabilisation off and camera handheld and stabilisation on. The camera shutter speed was one or two stops below the "safe" 1/focal length value and aperture was in the middle of the lens range, where maximum sharpness is expected to be. When seen at pixel level, the shots were comparable in the middle but the handheld ones were slightly blurred in the corners. Nothing to cry about it but useful to know.