Camera Bag for XC Mountain Bike Riders

Guest all8

For faster XC Mountain Bike Riders there is not really any choice for taking an A7+Lens in a camera bag that really lets you keep riding fast. There are some bags, sure, but they don't really get to the point ... which is tight and compact fitting, light weight and carrying enough water for 2 hours of intense physical effort.

So I made this!

Its using a Camelback Mule NV with a custom cut PE Foam Insert. The PE Foam is water resistant so it should not absorb spilt water or sweat, and the bag has a Rain Cover. The bag will carry between 1.5 - 2 litres in this configuration, which is the same as the Camelback Rogue bag that I normally use. There is still room for the usual XC tools and bandages.

The insert has a cutout for an A7 with an attached Batis lens (18, 25 or 85mm). There is a little more room for an additional lens, probably a Loxia of some sort, however the lower section is scalloped out at the rear in order to make room for the expanding water bladder, so there is not enough room for a second Batis lens. Perhaps in this lower section, a cut out for an RX1 would also be an idea, working in combination with the wider Batis 18mm lens. In any case the inserts are fairly easy to construct so there is no reason not to make a few for different combinations.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the chance to use it today, worked a treat, really great    :D

I think when Zeiss release the Loxia 100/2.8 Macro and the Batis 135/2.8 tele ... then I will have to make a new insert. It seems that if I store the camera body without lens attached, then I could find room to fit a second lens.

• 2 weeks later...

Tested with a Batis 18mm, awesome    B)   

I'm able to carry 2 liters of water, the bag is stable and I don't use the waist strap, only the sternum strap.