Why you shouldn't trust DXO lens testing

Because photographers like to make purchases based on research and that's all good provided that the results aren't just speculation calculated from a very poorly designed set of assumptions that can be off by 10 standard deviations.  That's why.

10 whole standard deviations ... well something about that is impressive, but its not what you think.

I recently added to my Sony V Nikon page but was reminded once again of the inaccuracy of what appears to be calculated scores over at DXO.  One of the best examples I am aware of is the insanely low calculation on the FE55 when used on the NEX7 vs the A7r.

DXO shows the FE55 getting half the resolution on the NEX7 as the A7r.  In hundreds of tests I performed, the FE55 on the NEX7 was typically within 5-6% of the A7r scores.

DXOs 'guess-testing' isn't even in the ballpark.    More here - https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/nikon-d810-v-sony-a7r-with-zeiss-otus-85mm/

fe55.jpg?w=1500

So what? Do you really have nothing better to do than attempt to denigrate Sony with every post?

So what we have learned from all of that:

The sony 55/1.8 ZA is one of the sharpest lenses around with neglectable distortion at all, neglectable vignetting and neglectable chromatic aberration, when used on the NEX.

Not better PR is ever possible to promote Sony and their marvelous Zeiss lens.

mmhhh  .....   are you paid by Sony, Max ?

:-)

Brilliant Lui - until you realize that the Otus 85mm scores 6809 on the Nikon D810 at f2.0. 

The Sony was at 5.6.    You really don't want to know how poorly the FE55 does at 2.0.  :wacko:

d810-with-otus-85mm.jpg

So what we have learned from all of that:

The sony 55/1.8 ZA is one of the sharpest lenses around with neglectable distortion at all, neglectable vignetting and neglectable chromatic aberration, when used on the NEX.

Not better PR is ever possible to promote Sony and their marvelous Zeiss lens.

mmhhh  .....   are you paid by Sony, Max ?

:-)

Let's just stop feeding troll. He will starve to death eventually. Let him be happy with his awesome Nikon 810 with the best sensor ever, made by Nikon... oh wait. Never mind

I decided to do just that. I posted a query to the moderator on the About the Sony Alpha Forum asking how to block all posts from a member troll.

Turns out to be simple (thanks to Steve C). Go to your name near the right end of the top black bar and click on the down-triangle. Select Manage Ignore Prefs and enter the trolls names.

Having done that, I'm finding the forum a much nicer place :-)

According to wiki -  In Internet slang, a troll  is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

Just the fact that you'd rather bury your head in the sand than confront the realities of your post purchase rationalization disorder doesn't make me a troll. 

Using the term 'troll' is the cowards way of being dismissive when one doesn't like the facts and information that are in conflict with their own set of ideas.   

Just click your heals together Dorothy and repeat the phrase "there's no place like home" 

I decided to do just that. I posted a query to the moderator on the About the Sony Alpha Forum asking how to block all posts from a member troll.

Turns out to be simple (thanks to Steve C). Go to your name near the right end of the top black bar and click on the down-triangle. Select Manage Ignore Prefs and enter the trolls names.

According to wiki -  In Internet slang, a troll  is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

Just the fact that you'd rather bury your head in the sand than confront the realities of your post purchase rationalization disorder doesn't make me a troll. 

Using the term 'troll' is the cowards way of being dismissive when one doesn't like the facts and information that are in conflict with their own set of ideas.   

Just click your heals together Dorothy and repeat the phrase "there's no place like home" 

This "Just click your heals together Dorothy and repeat the phrase "there's no place like home"" is points 1, 2, 3 & 4 ... give or take a standard deviation.

Guest PenGun

I did call it. Hi ho.

• 1 month later...

@Max

Your test compares a 36.152.320 pixel image with a 24.000.000 image and shows there almost as much detail in the 24mpx image as in the 36mpx image. So what happens if you upscale the 24mpx image to 36mpx?

What would you expect those two images printed out at A2 to look like? I am sure there will be MUCH more detail in the A7r image....

The view of the sand must be wonderful once you stick your head fully into it. 

That's the beauty of the new science - just ignore what you don't agree with.   

The view of the sand must be wonderful once you stick your head fully into it. 

That's the beauty of the new science - just ignore what you don't agree with.   

The problem isn't with the science, it's with the "scientist" 

• 2 weeks later...