L Bracket for Sony A7R mk2

Please advise,

I'm trying to find an L Bracket for the A7R mk2 which will allow for tethered capture when the camera is mounted on a tripod in portrait orientation (vertical) all ideas greatly appreciated. 

Guest Colin Scott Johnson

Really Right Stuff

Expensive, but the best.

I just picked up plates for my new RX1r II and A6300 :)

Really Right Stuff! The only way to go. I have their L plate for my a7Rii and it allows vertical orientation with spacer for cable plug-ins. It does it in a very good way, with two retaining holes so that it is secure better than with friction alone. Two other great features:

1) The battery door gets moved to the plate itself. Very handy.

2) the Allen wrench stores on the plate itself. Also very handy.

I also have the new L plate for my a6300. Very nice as well.

The only way to go....

Guest all8

RRS can be ordered direct from RRS, there is a European based reseller, but there is not much saving to be had (if any).

The allen wrench storage is surprisingly useful, same goes for the similar setup with the Pano head. I can't use the L-plate in landscape orientation _with_ the Pano head _and_ a USB shutter release - the USB plug gets in the way of "the attachment mechanism" when the Lens is correctly aligned in the mount. But otherwise it should be possible, i.e. if not using a pano head or not aligning the lens correctly.

However, for portrait orientation, the USB is accessible, and the HDMI should be too.

I third the RRS L-Plate for the A7r II, the one and only drawback I can think of is it makes it slightly harder to get at the ports of course, but that's unavoidable. It's really built extremely well, and I've tried a cheap eBay one myself. The one I kept was the RSS L-Plate :)

I use the Desmond DAL-2 Modular L-Bracket it's only twenty bucks so I'm sure it's not up to the $175 variety. It's not the sturdiest thing so I have to watch bumps and vibration although I think that goes without saying when using a tripod in the first place. I have to move it away from the body depending upon what I'm connecting and have to connect or disconnect off the tripod.  I also try and get 90˚ angle cables.

Hope this helps

on a side note:  Geez Louise!  how awesome is a $175 L bracket, sincerely?  Kinda thought the whole point of these small mirrorless was not needing the grip required to hold up a medium format camera