Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS

Smorton

Greetings:

Have a Sony A600.  Would like a better zoom than the kit lens that came with it (16 to 50 I think).  Does anyone have experience with the Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS?

Any input highly appreciated.

Smorton

Does the size bother you?  I sure want to carry one good lens around. 

How is the sharpness?  Is there another lens that I should look at in this zoom length?  I suppose they are all big.

Thanks for the feedback.

Smorton

Thanks for all your help.  The You Tube videos are generally favorable but it has distortion and chromatic aberration according to many of the reviews.  It is apparenly corrected by the Sony A6000 or by Lightroom or Photoshop.

Have you noticed this and if so, do you have to correct it in Lightroom or Photoshop?

Thanks again.

Smorton

Very few lenses are distortion free, from any manufacturer.

The Adobe software can do corrections.  But there is also some free software called Capture 1, which is excellent and works very well with Sony gear.

Don't worry too much about distortion or sharpness.  As a do it all lens it will never be perfect.  However that is the price you pay for a zoom.  It will still be plenty good for everything.

The other option for an all in one lens would be the 18-200, of which there are 4 versions I think.  This lens is larger again.  There is also the old kit lens 18-55, which was ok.

Indeed all the power zoom lenses are aimed at people taking video.

http://kurtmunger.com/sony_nex_18_200mmid237.html

Kurt does a great job of testing these lenses.  There is also a Tamron version that is a little cheaper and there was the Hasselblad version going for very cheap recently.  Its the same lens with a different badge on it.

My personal preference is the 55-210. It is super sharp, small, light, has OSS and cheap.  But I don't mind carrying another lens for the wide end. My usual travel kit is a wide prime and the 55-210. Total weight and size can be smaller and lighter than the single 18-200, depending on what prime is being used.

Greetings:

Have a Sony A600.  Would like a better zoom than the kit lens that came with it (16 to 50 I think).  Does anyone have experience with the Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS?

Any input highly appreciated.

Smorton

I just got back from a two week trip to India. Shot lots of photos and videos. My kit: A6000 + Sony G 18-105mm PZ + Sony 10-18mm F4. Very happy with the results! The 18-105 was on the camera most of the time with the 10-18 employed mostly for architectural interiors and exteriors. I highly recommend these two lenses!

This was a fast-paced trip with not much time for editing so I shot JPEGs which are automatically corrected in body. If you shoot RAW, existing Adobe ACR or LR lens profiles will apply the corrections for you.

The 18-105 is a G lens so aberrations are minimal or non-existent.

Hi,

you can also have a look to this blog:

http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/2015/01/the-review-selp18105-zoom-lens-in.html

There is also a comparison with the kit and the Zeiss 16-70

I also bought the 18105 and I am very happy with it.

24727208960_feefe9dfc9_z.jpg[/url]DSC02356 by FreeTi Bett, auf Flickr

25022710345_28990216c9_z.jpgDSC02366 by FreeTi Bett, auf Flickr

24655085049_f414638793_z.jpgDSC02371 by FreeTi Bett, auf Flickr

Both get FW upgrades. My lens was version 1 and I upgraded by myself to version 2.

It works quite same as to upgrade the camera. But this is only true for Sony or Sony-Zeiss lenses.

The Zeiss Touit for example needs to be returend to Zeiss for the FW upgrade.

Have a good day

Won't be able to read until done with work this evening. Skimmed it. 

Question:  I know cameras get firmware updates.  Do lenses get firmware updates too?  If so, do you simply update it through the Sony a6000?

Thanks

Smorton

Yes, go here and select your device (camera or lens model number, i.e. SELP18105G)  and then the Operating System. You can then see the list of drivers and firmware updates. Make sure that the lens that needs the update is attached to your camera and follow the instructions on the web-page… I've done this a few times and it works fine.