A7s ii issues.

ncangello

Had the camera for 3 weeks now. Shooting with canon L lenses and a fotodiox adapter.

My settings are 4k 100, 24p 50 frame rate..

Picture profile usually Cine 4 and pro.

My issue is.. The footage looks like crap. It's noisy, even sub 1,000 iso.

Today I shot in the foggy mountains.. An absolutely beautiful forest, I got home and brought the footage into film convert and almost smashed the camera.

How are you people making these magical videos? Especially the ones in s log 3?? I shoot in slog and open film convert and the footage looks so bad.

I can upload some examples if I need to. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Does this have anything to do with white balance or exposure??

Please someone help me !!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain !

Exposing and grading Slog is an art in itself and will take time to learn and perfect.

Its taken me a year and I still struggle.

But theres heaps of info on the net about what your dealing with. There are also varying opinions. Maybe misty mountains might not have needed the slog.

For sure if its looking good on the back of the camera - your probably exposing it wrong ! You need to over expose by a good two stops - but without clipping the highlights. You'll probably need NDs. Possibly a light meter to be smart about it. But you can also use flatish profiles that are a bit easier to grade - but its horses for courses - and each to his own. But please do look online as theres lots of opinions plus custom made profiles too that might be a bit easier for you. The profile off isnt too bad either - but that would be like shooting in jpeg and not RAW !

Good luck and keep at it !

S-log has had many comments about it seeming noisy and needing 2+ stops exp comp in order to bring down in post to reduce noise..... I'm not a very good grader and my workflow doesn't really need it as I feel I get decent PQ using a picture profile (PP6) with just a little contrast added in Sony Vegas. I shoot 1080 50p, however this doesn't have any real effect on noise.

I find I can happily shoot video up to 12,600 and have it looking clean as a whistle, 25,600 aint too shabby either and I use when needed. However, stills do look noisy at 12,600 - weird.....

To get the best IQ and minimum noise, you need to expose properly. By this I mean it is better to overexpose a shot (without clipping the whites) and bring the exposure back down PP, than to underexpose. Known under many guises, ETTR, expose to the right, HAMSTTR, histogram and meter settings to the right..... Think this has something to do with how the digital sensor records info, a big proportion of this info is at the upper end of the exposure range, but my knowledge on the science is limited.

If you look at your histogram when recording, make sure it is weighted to the right, i.e. on the overexposed side, but make sure you don't have white clipping. Another option, which was suggested to me and works well is to set your zebras to 100+. Then when you set up your shot, keep upping the exposure until you get the zebras. Then dial it down 1/3stop to just remove them. You now have the brightest exposure without clipping. Doesn't matter if you up the exposure by opening the aperture, decreasing the shutter speed, using exp comp dial or upping the iso, just get a brightly exposed shot. This will reduce noise (yep, even increasing iso) and you can reduce exposure to suit PP. This will minimise your noise and you will certainly find 12,600 to be very good. If not, I'd guess there is an issue.

I sent my A7sII back and kept my A7s. Except for HandHeld IBIS. I like the A7s much better. Besides, I only use it on a TriPod.

Unless you are coming from/like the Sony System, this is very difficult to learn.

You might try AutoFocus, Auto White Balance, and Standard Profile. They are fairly good. The AutoISO is a disaster area.

I had to go to the expensive 28-135 Cine lens and 7Q+ 4k recorder to get good Video by DownRes 4k to 1080P30.

If you want easy 4k in good light get a GH4 or wait for the GH5.

I just got a D750 and it is so much more intuitive with bigger buttons where I need them.

So far at ISO 4000, the Video quality matches the A7s in poor/low light.

If I can push that to ISO 8,000, the Sony system will be gone.

I had to go to the expensive 28-135 Cine lens and 7Q+ 4k recorder to get good Video by DownRes 4k to 1080P30.

The lens will make no difference to noise unless it is faster enabling you to open up the aperture to get more light. 12,800 iso is clean as a whistle when properly exposed as I mentioned above

Bought The a7s mk2 because i felt lost with the bad iso performance on my bmpc4k. Now i feel lost again because im stuck With 8bit, digital grain, stupid picture profile 9, bad LCD, no Lens Electronics as i Own Canons only, silly apps that Cost extra like The timelapse app With only 30/24 fps no 25. Fullhd 100fps but with 2.2x crop. The 4k option lower The bitrate which is allready too low. Must admit i Would have thought twice buying this cam, if i just have had a little patience... The World of tech does evolve too slow i just wanna make good i images without too much hassle, like we Will do in 10 years...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bought The a7s mk2 because i felt lost with the bad iso performance on my bmpc4k. Now i feel lost again because im stuck With 8bit, digital grain, stupid picture profile 9, bad LCD, no Lens Electronics as i Own Canons only, silly apps that Cost extra like The timelapse app With only 30/24 fps no 25. Fullhd 100fps but with 2.2x crop. The 4k option lower The bitrate which is allready too low. Must admit i Would have thought twice buying this cam, if i just have had a little patience... The World of tech does evolve too slow i just wanna make good i images without too much hassle, like we Will do in 10 years...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People have been making amazing images for years..... without any tech.

Neither of us would have bought a A7s/A7sII if we had known how much more money it would take to get it to work right.

I my case it was a 7Q+ and 28-135 Cine lens plus external batteries.

Still above 8,000 ISO there is no match (yet) for the Videos I can get.

• 2 weeks later...