Wedding Photographers Using HSS Which Flash System

rollsman4

Sort of limited with Sony A7ll and Sony A99( have both). What system are you using for OCF outdoors requiring HSS .  Thank you

For TTL, HSS flash I'm using the Di700A Flash Kit with Air 1 Commander. It works well!

Ok Great. Now, next question: Is there a Portable DC Monolight for Sony with HSS.  I don't need TTL I shoot on Manual.  Adorama says this works with Sony and HSS :

Flashpoint RoveLight 600 Ws Monolight with On Board Power.   

Do I have to use the Air 1 commander since I don't need TTL?   IS THERE ANOTHER TRANSMITTER THEY MAKE JUST FOR NON TTL AND WITH HSS?  THANKS

Jason Lanier has a video on YouTube (one or two year old) covering the subject. Lavikka photography also cover the subject in some review videos.

Edit. The Nissin Air1 Di700 combo is probably the most affordable entrance to off camera HSS right now and you do have the option to use the M setting :)

Guest Peter Kelly

Ok Great. Now, next question: Is there a Portable DC Monolight for Sony with HSS.  I don't need TTL I shoot on Manual.  Adorama says this works with Sony and HSS :

Flashpoint RoveLight 600 Ws Monolight with On Board Power.   

Do I have to use the Air 1 commander since I don't need TTL?   IS THERE ANOTHER TRANSMITTER THEY MAKE JUST FOR NON TTL AND WITH HSS?  THANKS

The 'Flashpoint Rovelight', although it supports HSS, is not available for Sony, only Nikon and Canon, and the 'Air 1 Commander' is only compatible with the Nissin Di700.

If using the Di700 HSS is available in both M and TTL.

Personally, for weddings, I would prefer the Di700 with Air Commander as you can buy several flash bodies to give a much more flexible set up, as well as being lighter.

In addition, multiple strobes helps to overcome the main issue with HSS.

Generally monolights will not support the feature as it requires a very specific behaviour in tandem with the camera. There are ways to 'cheat', but it's simply not worth the effort, in my opinion.

Thank you Peter.  I am going to wait till 2016 and see what else comes out for Sony.  I appreciate the info you gave.  

Hi Rollsman4. Peter is usually right but this time he is wrong about the Flashpoint Rovelight! It does HSS with Sony's A7's. Check YouTube for a video by Jason Lanier clearly showing the tandem in use. Also, you can find DC adaptors that work with the Nissin.

I have been looking for the same solution. After talking to a Phottix rep, they assured me that the new Odin II system for Sony will be available no later than March 1st. The whole initial problem with Odin availability was due to a switch in US distributors, with the new company not wanting to get any more stock of the Odin, when they knew the Odin II was in the pipeline. I'm holding out to see if this comes to fruition... it'd sure be nice to have come senior picture shooting season in the spring here in Indiana. Fingers crossed.

Bob

Cheaper than Speedlights? The Nissin looks way more affordable to me.

Better? Well it's a lot more powerfull but size and weight could be an issue especially if wanting to use VALS (voice activated light stands)

How about the vitstro 360 and pixl king triggers (unfortunately youll need the Sony/minolta to Sony hotshoe adapter)

Just decided to take the plunge and purchased the Flashpoint 600B.  No need to wait.   I need the Various powers it offers and The size is not an issue for me.  Thank you all

That was my Xmas Gift to me

Happy for you! Happy Holidays! If you can please report your experience with this unit! I have a WL Ultra 800 with Vagabond battery pack that I'll have to sell before taking this plunge!

Rereading the topic I gotta ask what you mean by the ability to adjust power? To my knowledge all modern flashes/Speedlights have adjustable output.

Soeren, The Flashpoint 600B comes with a remote control that's supposed to allow photographer's to adjust flash output from their cameras, as well as trigger the flash. However, the "power adjust" feature of the remote is apparently not working well. That fact was pointed out in Jason Lanier's video.

That is correct Al Pha.   I noticed fro Jason;s video that he uses a Pixel King on camera and on the 600B.  He also mentions that you can use TRS trigger on top of the Pixel King On camera to adjust the power. That is the only way to adjust the power.   Thank you  

Ok Thanks. I was getting confused as they did the poweradjustment on the flash directly in the video. I see the rationale in picking these for power reasons though personally I still have the Nissin and Godox flashes in shared first place I just can't decide which to get (first). The bigger one for when I go for photographing or the smaller one I can take even when going on hollidays

Hi guys all trigger options are only trigger over camera but what if I'd want to attach a flash on that trigger (which supports ttl and hss) which trigger is available?

I CURRENTLY have a nissin mg8000 extreme but triggers of yn 622c. When I attach only trigger to camera all off camera flash work well but if I attach a flash on the trigger which is on the camera I get sync only upto 1\125 and not 200 or 250 as the camera supporto. ..yn 622c supports ttl and hss