3 lenses to buy

oneand0

Hi! I'm new here and would like some advice on my switch over from Canon. Currently I own a Sony A7RII, with a backup Canon7DII, with variety of EF lenses and metabones adapter. I am a hobbyist landscape photographer and very comfortable with my Rokinon 14mm and Zeiss 21mm manually for landscape with my new Sony.

Next week I am going to rent and compare the A6000 & FE 70-200mm, to my 7D MKii and 100-400mm, in speed and auto focus. If it matches performance, I'm dumping my backup Canon and all five canon lenses.

This is where it gets tricky! I really am going to step out of my comfort zone of landscape photography, and I'm getting into pet photography/videography incorporating some landscapes. I need something that will focus almost flawlessly with my A7R II and A6000 (or A6000X) for catching those pets. So I have decided to get three lenses to work with pet photographs and video.
1. Sony 35mm FE 2.8 (crop mode becomes 52mm)
2. Sony 55mm FE 1.8 (crop mode becomes 82mm)
3. Sony 70-200mm F/4

Based on your experience with these lenses, or other Sony FE lenses, is there something else I should go with? I'm really going to miss the coverage of my old 24-105mm Canon, which was a true workhorse and just sharp enough. I already own video fluid heads, tripod, fluid monopod, Glidecam and other equipment from being in video prior to landscape, so that is not an issue.

Thank you for any input.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1and0hound/

I think you have a good range there in lens. Everyone's shooting style is different and you'll soon find if there is a further need. I'm making the switch too from canon and have made similar lens choices. I've added the 90mm macro to my collection and am waiting to see what happens with the A6000 to see if it gets an update. We should know in a month or two

Enjoy the new adventure

The new Sony macro FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS is a nice addition. Super sharp and makes lovely portraits.

I am waiting for the Zeiss Batis 85mm to compare

Although an 85mm is a great lens for portraits, the Minimum Focus Distance on the Zeiss Batis is 2.62' (80 cm).   The Macro lens will give you more flexibility getting in close.  If you want both, fine.   But if you are only keeping one, I would keep the macro.

Thank you for the input from everyone. Since this post I have decided to sell every last bit of Canon gear I own (6D & 7DMKII and five lenses). I have the A7RII, and newly announced A7S2 will be my combo. My heart is really pulling me into video and pet photography. Definitely going to buy the 55 1.8 and 70-200 first as I sell off my lenses. Bob (thank you), I read the reviews on that Macro lens, and made me realize that will be the first one I save up for, and buy after paying off the A7S2. It would be nice to incorporate some macro shots in video, and have it as a nice portrait lens for pets and people.

Travel and photograph safe!

Mario

Oh yeah I'm still keeping my metabones & EF 21mm Zeiss and 14mm Rokinon, just for my landscapes.