Focus magnification woes

kiawui

Is there any way to set focus magnification to only a certain part of the LCD screen?

I remember it works that way when I tried it at the Sony store. Now when i manual focus, the whole LCD is magnified to a particular spot of my image so I cannot double check my composition when I snap.

Although I do compose before focusing, I feel that if only part of the image is focused it would make things easier. Thank you for any inputs. Have been searching and running through the menus to no avail.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

What I meant is when it's magnified, the whole LCD screen is magnified and I cannot check my composition before taking the snap. Is it possible to just magnify a small portion of the picture while leaving the whole composition jntact?

You don't say what model the camera is ..... With the A7 series cameras if you are in magnified image mode you can quickly return to the full scene view by partially pressing the shutter release, but not so far as to actually trip the shutter. You can also return by pressing the button in the centre of the back Control Wheel.

There is usually a Custom Button programmed to superimpose a rectangle onto the full scene view that represents the area to be magnified (A7 series defaults to C1 or C2 depending on the model). First press shows the rectangle, second press what's in the rectangle magnified together with a small window showing smaller rectangle for next level of magnification. Third press highest level of magnification. Fourth press or partial shutter press returns to normal scene viewing. At any time you can move the selection rectangle or magnified image around the scene by up/down left/right presses of the back control wheel or by the shutter speed and aperture control wheels.

Bob.

I vividly remembered when I was at Sony center testing out the cameras (a7s), I was taking a pic of my sis and trying out the manual focus. I could see the whole composition with only her eye magnified in the centre. I am using a7ii now.

But if so many of you says there is no such feature, then i must have remembered wrongly. Thanks for the confirmation. Appreciate the replies.

Sounds like you are in DMF focus mode?  You auto focus, then when you turn the manual focus ring, it will zoom entire view to adjust.  You may want to change to a 2 or 5 second delay for the focus zoom, sounds like you may have this delay turned off.  That way when you are done manually focusing the view will zoom back out after that 2 second delay.  I may be missing the point all together.  <grin>

Sounds like you are in DMF focus mode? You auto focus, then when you turn the manual focus ring, it will zoom entire view to adjust. You may want to change to a 2 or 5 second delay for the focus zoom, sounds like you may have this delay turned off. That way when you are done manually focusing the view will zoom back out after that 2 second delay. I may be missing the point all together. <grin>

Tested in mf and dmf with focus magnification to off and on, 2 sec or 5 sec. But still it zooms to entire screen.

Tested in mf and dmf with focus magnification to off and on, 2 sec or 5 sec. But still it zooms to entire screen.

I think I understand...  You are looking to only zoom a small portion of the view (Like just the focus point box) while leaving the remaining view at normal magnification?  I haven't seen that.

I have an A7S and A7R2 and I'm 99.9% sure they don't have a feature like that.

I did read an article from zeiss recently that described something similar:

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=5923

The bit that says:

"The most used version was a so-called split image. This has a circle in the middle, divided horizontally. The picture in the above half is offset from the picture in the lower half."

Maybe the shop replaced the eye piece with something like that?