Steady Shot On or Off on Tripod?

Hi, As an ex Canon shooter I always turned the IS off when on a tripod so does the same apply for Sony steady Shot? Yesterday in a wooded area while it was pouring from the heavens and overcast I had to use a 50th second in manual mode on the A9 and the 200-600mm lens, on a gimbal and auto ISO set to max 6400, yes noise arrived but also some images where just not sharp at all, animals never stay still for long I no but 50th sec is not mega slow. Any advice on better settings for this type of situation? Thankyou, Russ.

Hi Russ,

I think that having the steady shot on or off isn't the problem here. Since you are using the 200-600 mm zoom, the conventional wisdom says your shutter speed should be the reciprocal or 1/200 to 1/600 of a second for shutter speed. It is a good rule of thumb for minimizing the shake. When on a tripod this rule is not as critical but shooting on a tripod can sometimes introduce its own problems. Depending on your tripod, the head, and other factors like the wind, vibrations and harmonics can have a way of introducing shake to your shooting even though you are on a tripod. Do a test if you would and shoot a distant subject at various shutter speeds and then do the same test again but this time put a small bean bag or weight on the lens. I have done this with several of my students and everyone was surprised when the shots with the bean bag came out sharper i.e. less camera shake. If you don't use something like a bean bag, even putting your hand on the lens can minimize harmonic vibrations. You may have to use even high shutter speeds to eliminate harmonic vibrations as opposed to the shutter speeds to eliminate your hand held movements. David 

Hi David, Thank you for your reply. Yes I no about the mm to ss but due to the very low light it was impossible to get there unless putting the ISO through the roof, good tip on the bag I will have to try that. I do use a LensMaster Gimbal RH-2 on a Manfrotto tripod but on this occassion I think it was being unable to get a high enough shutter speed, maybe a touch of flash would have been better but don't like to use it when wildlife are the subject. Thanks again Russ.

• 3 weeks later...