Does a6500 stabilization work when using third-party lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an a6000 and am considering upgrading to the a6500, but I'm curious about the stabilization. I know it is in-body, but is it in anyway dependent on the lens being used? Specifically, will it work with third-party lenses? I do a lot of shooting with Tamron's 150-600mm lens (with Sony's LA-EA2 adapter).

For camera-based image stabilization (IBIS) to work, the camera needs to know the focal length of the lens in use*. The LA-EA2 transfers EXIF so the camera should be able to stabilize the image. If the lens also has stabilized optics, it might conflict with IBIS so you'll have to turn one off.

*Even lenses without EXIF-transmission can use IBIS if you manually set the focal length of the lens.

Yes, my a6500 works perfectly with my Sigma lenses. As I understand it Irrespective of whether the lens Is ‘stabilised’ the IBIS takes control. I’m very happy with my a6500 but perhaps my only gripe is the poor battery life which means, if I were to buy again, I would go for the a6600 with its bigger battery. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, PeterMac said:

As I understand it Irrespective of whether the lens Is ‘stabilised’ the IBIS takes control.

This is not true. This thread is specifically about using 3rd party lenses on a mount adapter. Most stabilized lenses designed for DSLRs were never intended to be used on a body with stabilized sensor. The lens is therefore not providing stabilization information to the body so the body doesn't know the lens is already trying to stabilize the image. As a result, lens and body both try to stabilize the same movement, which causes these movements to be overcompensated. Therefore I mentioned earlier:

On 12/9/2020 at 3:31 PM, Pieter said:

If the lens also has stabilized optics, it might conflict with IBIS so you'll have to turn one off.

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

A6600 with mc-11 and sigma 150-500 for canon EF, menu shows steadyshot greyed out and off, irrespective of whether OS set to on or off or AF or MF. Presumably lens is not recognised and so IBIS is off?

IMG_20210523_105936025~2.jpg

Edited by Random Castle
Add pic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By WeddingLivestream2021
      Not sure where where else to go. I rented a Sony A6500 to Livestream my upcoming Saturday July 3rd wedding along with an Atomos Capture Card and connecting HDMI to micro HDMI cable. I have been following several guides to make sure that the Camera is outputting resolutions and framerates that the Capture card can handle. The Sony A6500 does not seem to be giving output at all. When I connect to to  Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) software and try to add it as a video source I get this vertical colored bars. This is OBS's ready signal to say it is waiting to receive input.

I have independently confirmed the capture card works and the HDMI setting and internal recording settings (resolution, fps) are withing what the ATOMOS can handle.
      Under the Setup Menu, page 4 there is the 📷 4K Output Sel. entry which I believe sets how you output HDMI signal from the micro HDMI port on the side. This 4K Output Sel. setting is grayed out and disabled on my camera. When I try to select it, I get the error message "This Function is currently disabled". I believe there are a number of different diagnosis for this problem. One that I am aware of is during slow motion or quick recording 4K Output Select is not available. I cannot find one single slow motion or quick recording setting to turn off, but I was hoping this forum could provide helpful tips to diagnose this problem. I am trying to salvage this setup but am considering other options at this point. I
    • By Arnab Ghosh
      I have sony a6400, and i want absolutely steller quality from my prime lense ( will use for portrait , street portrait category )  the options i can see is 

1. Sigma 56mm f1.4 for apsc 
      2. Sigma art 50mm f1.4 for FE 

I might upgrade to full frame may be in next 4-5 years, not immediately,  will sigma art  50mm f.14 will provide better image on a apsc body than 56mm ? In both photo and video  ? 

As the 50 art costs 2X than the 56mm, i am a bit confused.. but it that will provide that better image / video quality i am ok to pay the difference. 

If anyone has used sigma 50mm art on APsc for photo and video please let me know.
    • By Kora
      Good morning,
      I've recently got the "Sony a7 III" camera body as a present. I'm a little bit lost when it comes to lenses and I would really appreciate some advice on which lens to get based on my needs (if possible).
      I'm a painter, and once I finish my paintings I take photos of them, whether if it's for posting on art websites to sell them, social media to promote them, etc.
      I also want to make art prints out of the photos I take of them.
      I've recently started filming videos while I paint to show the process and teach other people painting techniques.
      So, to sum it up, I'm looking for quite a versatile lens:
      - Take photos of paintings once they're finished (to post on art websites to sell).
      - Take photos of paintings once they're finished (to make prints out of them. I paint large scale and small scale paintings).
      - To film videos of the painting process.
      I've read that for taking photos of paintings it's better to get a macro lens, but I don't know how that'd work when I need to film videos.
      I also heard a prime lens could be a good option.
      Thank you very much for your time 
      Kora
    • By rtizzer
      Hello all,
      I've just purchased an a6500 with the LA-EA4 in an attempt to use all of my A-mount lenses but have better autofocus, image quality, etc. than my a77 (mk 1). I have tried it with the Minolta 50mm 1.7, Sony 16-50 2.8, and Tamron 70-300 USD. All lenses have the same issue: back-focus. I've tried each and every micro-adjust setting nothing seems to have a noticeable difference on the back-focus. The focus areas even show up green so the camera thinks it's focused correctly, but it's always something behind the subject that's in focus. I've been using spot AF-S but have tried all combinations of focus areas and modes to no avail. The camera has the older software version 1.05, I have not updated but it doesn't seem like the update provides any support for the adapter so I don't think that would help. The only other things I've tried are resetting and initializing the camera. Focus is phenomenal with native E lenses, and all the A lenses I've tested are perfect on my a77.
      Any ideas?
      Thanks!
    • By D.R. Smith
      Hi everyone.  I'm pretty new here.  I have a Sony A7III and shoot mostly outdoors photography.
      I'm considering buying a 200-600mm lens but have also heard rumors that Sony is going to be introducing the Sony A7IV soon.
      I have a 400mm lens that works for most purposes so the longer length isn't that critical and I'm wondering if I should save my money and wait till the A7IV comes out.
      Has anyone heard when Sony expects to release that camera.  If it's going to be fairly soon, I will probably hold off buying the lens, if not, well...
      Any thoughts you folks might have would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks and it's nice to be here.
  • Topics