Why banding when using LED lights with a6600 but not GH5?

Hi - I got an a6600 a few months ago and have used it for outdoor shooting, both stills and video, and recently did some timelapse and video indoors under LED lights.  Both the stills and the video show dark bands across the image.  Searching for explanations led me to several discussions about LED light flicker and intermodulation and how it relates to shutter speed.  That makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is the fact that I cannot get the same banding to appear on my GH5 with the exact same frame rate (30 fps) and shutter speed (1/60 s).  In fact, I can't get the GH5 to show the banding at any shutter speed.  The banding persists on the a6600 down to 1/5 s which is, of course, not useful for 30 fps shooting.

Is there some setting in the a6600 that is causing the banding?  All the discussions I've seen go back to the lights being the issue but the GH5 clearly shows that LED flicker can be dealt with by the camera (I have no idea what the GH5 is doing to make it work, by the way).

Thanks,

rgames

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 6:07 PM, rgames said:

I have no idea what the GH5 is doing to make it work, by the way

GH5 has smaller sensor, hence better performance in certain areas. I have same led banding issues even with A7III & A7SIII, but hear A9 series has a much better control over banding due to higher sensor readout.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed the same thing for some of my videos under LED lights, found this article about how it related to electronic shutter and using mechanical instead, solved it. Hope it helps you too! https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00122281