Hi All!

DevPreach

Hi y'all,

I'm the new guy on the block here.   I'm not a Sony shooter yet, but I'm considering it.   As soon as the state of NJ gets their heads out of their butts and tells us we can disburse the money from my one aunt's estate I'm looking to make my jump into full-frame photography.   I'm no stranger to photography I've shot with various film slr cameras and I've owned/used a Nikon D90 in the past.   Due to unfortunate unforeseen circumstances I've had to sell the D90 and my lenses in the past.   Well now that I'm getting a chance I'm going to get back into the art of photography that I've missed so very much.   Since I am coming from a place of not already having some lenses etc tying me to a brand I've found myself considering bodies and lenses from companies that I wouldn't have considered in the past.   I'm looking for a body that would be an all around jack of all trades good for portraits, landscape/cityscape, and maybe the occasional wedding(I've done weddings in the past for family and friends).    What I'm considering on my budget of approximately $14k is a Sony Alpha A7RIV, Sony battery grip, extra Sony-brand batteries, 8 128GB SD cards, Sigma 14-24mm f4 lens, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 lens, Sigma 85mm f1.4 lens, Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM OSS lens with 2x teleconverter(separate), and the Sony 200-600mm f5.6-6.3 G OSS lens, along with Godox V860IIS flashes(X3) and the Godox X1 Pro Wireless Trigger kit.    I would love to be able to have all top of the line Sony brand lenses and stuff, but budget wise this allows me to get what I need/want with about $2k to spare.    Do you all have any recommendations????

I would suggest the 1.4 teleconverter over the 2.0

There have been a few questionable reviews on the 2.0. I have the 1.4 with the 70-200 f2.8 and 200-600 and am very happy with the results..

You only need 2 z-batteries, the battery grip runs fine with just one and its unlikely you will drain a battery in one day unless taking a lot of video.

DEVPreach, it seems you have done a lot of research, but for what I have read about the differences of the a7, a7S and a7R models, a better “all around” Sony camera (as you put it) might be an a7 (with no S or R after the 7). Again, for what I have read, the R stands for resolution (more pixels) but then the sensor is less sensitive to light (smaller photosites), the S would stand for Sensitivity (and therefore, has fewer pixels), and the a7 would be something in between, and therefore, less specialized but more versatile. 24,2 Megapixels give a lot of resolution anyway and is enough for showing photos on the internet or doing even big prints, this is if you are not thinking of doing huge prints like billboards of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum, impressive lens selection, I love lenses with all internal zoom mechanism = not extending. I agree with Alejandro, A7iii is best for mixed/hybrid needs, A7Riv 61mp is too much but obviously brings certain benefits, btw some ppl are waiting to see what A7iv will be like, it might get more megapixels