f4 zoom vs 1.8 prime

DJ72

HI Experts.

I am on the cusp of a very expensive purchase - the Sony A7Rii

Of course, next comes the lens...

My doubts are around which lens: zoom or prime?

Zoom would be the Sony 24mm-70mm F/4

Fixed would be the Sony 55mm F1/8

Does anyone have a take on which lens I should consider?

I take mostly street/portrait/still life photographs. 

They are similarly priced.

The zoom would be convenient and give me some scope for control, though "slower" at F/4

The prime would be faster, and wider at F1/8. It would not allow me to get any closer without moving my own body.

I am pondering this: if the zoom is slower then I wont be able to take lower light pictures and the shallow depth of field would be much less.

However, with the 42M full frame Sony, would I be able to just crop afterwards to get closer? Would the advanced sensor/higher resolution give me some wriggle room in this department?

Is the quality of the 55mm always going to trump (yes, that is still a verb we can use) that of the slower zoom? Is it that obvious? 

I am undecided. Please help me, if you can. I am happily set on the camera, but this is costing a lot of money (that I should be spending on our car getting body work done to it) and I am 100% not likely to ever buy another similarly priced lens.

Thank you in advance,

David .

I just realised there is another Sony zoom, the Sony E 16-70mm f/4, which i could consider.

Edited by DJ72

Hi. 16-70 is an apsc lens. You need to shoot in apsc mode which will bring it down to 18 mp. 

You should consider the 24-70 f4 and not consider the 16-70...  

it depends on your preference.  Would you rather shoot at f4, but have the flexibility of the Zoom, or an f1.8 on 55.  What suits someone might not suit you.  

I would suggest renting the 24-70, and shoot for a few days. Then check your photos and see the reach you normally shoot. You can also fix on 55mm on the 24-70, and see whether you’re comfortable with the reach, or prefer something tighter or wider. You need to shoot more to understand your preference/choice of style. 

If it’s my choice, it’s always 55mm all day Long. (Actually the Planar 50mm f1.4 is my preferred lens at this reach) because I like a shallower DOF, but that’s through owning and selling many lenses to finally knowing what I like. 

Thanks crysmeth.

Yes, the Zoom would be the Sony 24mm-70mm F/4.

I am looking at sample pics on Flickr for both lenses and the 55mm is more impressive.

Thanks for your reply, it makes sense. 

If Budget is a concern, you can consider the nifty fifty 50mm f1.8 (I’ve never used or owned this lens). The 28mm f2 is also an awesome lens (to many, but not to my liking). And lastly, my favourite low  cost lens, and IMO, the best Low cost lens that’s Sony has is the 85mm f1.8.

One of the best portrait lens imo. Very fast AF too.  Perhaps too tight for street but I know some people do use that as their walkabout lens, so it’s a personal preference.  

An alternative to the 2470 f4 is the tamron 28-75 f2.8 too.  But I’m not sure what’s the cost there like but it’s comparable to the Sony here, and you gain a stop.  Just be sure to have it updated to the latest firmware.  

Hope it helps  

keep shooting  

Thanks crysmeth. Money is tight as it is for most, but I dont mind spending properly if this is going to be the right lens for me. Im leaning to the zoom now ... most people seem to prefer the zoom.

My question is : is there a significant trade off between the F1/8 of the prime and the F/4 of the zoom?

Thanks again.

DJ

With a 42mp sensor I think a 50 or 55 1.8 would be a better purchase. As you mentioned above you can always crop down to get tighter shots without a huge impact on final image quality. 

The 55 is a very sharp lens and will complement the 42mp sensor much better than a f4 zoom. Just my 2 cents.

7 hours ago, DJ72 said:

Thanks crysmeth. Money is tight as it is for most, but I dont mind spending properly if this is going to be the right lens for me. Im leaning to the zoom now ... most people seem to prefer the zoom.

My question is : is there a significant trade off between the F1/8 of the prime and the F/4 of the zoom?

Thanks again.

DJ

Trade off depends again on individual. My preference is bokeh and a fast lens. So I would never get an f4. But to you, you may prefer the flexibility. So it really depends on individual. 

So...  if you’re leaning to the zoom, then you should really consider also the tamron, if the cost is similar. The extra stop gives you a wee bit advantage. 

Hello All

Just to let you know, last night I put an order in for the Sony A7Rii, together with the Tamron 28mm-75mm. 

Now I'm feeling guilty about all that money spent - but I had no choice!

Thanks for the advice about the zoom/prime lens decision.

DJ

Ha ha good one thanks Chrissie!

Buyer's remorse is the sense of regret after having made a purchase. It is frequently associated with the purchase of an expensive item such as a vehicle or real estate.

The definition doesn't extend to camera equipment so i will just try. What happened to retail therapy? 

But yes, it has taken me months to get this far (with the purchase) and yes i cant wait to get it. 

One huge change is going to be carrying such a large camera with me. I have had a Sony RX for the last few years and compared to that the AR is about as discreet as a cement mixer. Its going to be different now - no more hiding the device under my hand.