Prime lenses

I'm trying to figure out the best prime lens for video. Help is appreciated. Here is the story:

I bought my a6500 mainly for 4k video, not so much pictures. I've always been a medium zoom lens type of person and I have the 18 to 135 mm. But recently I've decided to do some green screen work for my YouTube. I started thinking maybe I should use a prime lens for this. I was looking between 35 mm and 50 mm and decided that a 35 mm would be the best option. A 50 mm would be the equivalent of 75 mm with the crop factor, and that is too much. But then I realized 35 mm is a 50 mm with the crop factor. So what lens would you guys recommend to achieve 35 mm? Also another thing I realized is when shooting in 30fps in 4k it crops it even more. So what would give me a 35 mm equivalent with the video crop?

Another reason I decided on the prime lens is because I originally wanted to get a 10 to 18 mm lens. But then seeing the price of that lens after just spending 1000+ on my a6500, I cant justify dropping another G. I noticed prime lenses are way cheaper. Worst case i can just continue using my 18-135 and save money by not getting any other lens. But I just figured maybe a prime lens would be better especially with the larger apertures they have. Thoughts?

Don't think of the crop factor if all you ever used is an APS-C camera: the fullframe equivalence has no significant meaning to you. My advise is to try your 18-135 a bit on various focal lengths (e.g. 23-ish, 35 and 50) and see how that works for your videos. Then buy a prime at whichever focal length you like best.

If you really want 35mm FF equivalent focal length, the Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 is a real gem. Also costs close to €/$ 1k. On the other end of the price spectrum there's the cheap but decent Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DC DN.

Edited by Pieter

After looking at the suggested lenses and reading reviews, I came to the conclusion the Sony 24mm 1.8 would be the best choice. However due to it being a 1k lens (and no oss?!) I will have to pass it up. My next option would have to be moving up to the Sony 35mm 1.8. After testing out focal length ranges with my 18-135 as suggested, 35 mm (52mm) would still work for me. Worst case i can always move the camera back a little bit if anything. I will have to take a trip to B&H to check the lens out in person before I buy it. After looking at reviews and watching videos, I'm pretty confident that will be the best lens for me. They say to always have a nifty fifty, and the 35 mm is just that. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!!

P.s. if anyone is interested my YouTube is www.youtube.com/mustang2005 if you'd like to see the green screen work I'm trying to do. It's the videos titled "mustang2005's rants."

Edited by boosted_ford

Since your a6500 has sensor-based image stabilization the lack of OSS in the lens is not really a miss. I do agree that the 24mm f/1.8 is expensive for what it is though. If the 35mm f/1.8 fits your desired focal length, also consider the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. About the same price, optically better than the Sony 35 but no OSS.

2 hours ago, Pieter said:

Since your a6500 has sensor-based image stabilization the lack of OSS in the lens is not really a miss. I do agree that the 24mm f/1.8 is expensive for what it is though. If the 35mm f/1.8 fits your desired focal length, also consider the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. About the same price, optically better than the Sony 35 but no OSS.

Ahh.... I will consider this too. it sounds like a good lens. Now to decide between the two. Definitely need to test both when I go to B&H!

So I went to B&H today to look at the lenses. I want to thank everyone for all the recommendations. I think I'm definitely going to go with the Sigma. I made a little review video of both sony and sigma lenses if you guys are interested. Again thank you everyone!

Edited by boosted_ford

What you say in your review about the color tone difference is true: I recently got the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 to replace my Sony 50mm f/1.8. Color tone of the Sigma 56 and 30 should be comparable, as should the Sony 50 and 35. My Sigma 56 produces much warmer tones than the Sony. I use it mostly for portraiture so am quite satisfied with the rendering of the Sigma.